At what age do your kids have to move out?

How old is too old to be at home??

AtHomeMommy-3

Asked by AtHomeMommy-3 at 6:03 AM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• no age set mine always just left at around 20 after that I think it becomes ackward to have them at home
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:06 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• That's usually up to who ever owns the home and is the parent. Legally, its 18 yrs old. If he's paying rent after that or contributing to aid you financially, you can give him a thirty day notice. If he doesn't move after that, you can wait until he leaves and put all his belongs in boxes out side or move them into a storage unit with a thirty day lease. Then change all the locks on the home. If he tries to get back into the house without your permission, its considered breaking and entering. To avoid all that, you could set him up in a place by paying the first months rent. However, I'd change the locks once he's moved out, don't let him come in for at least 6 months until you know he's settled somewhere else. Meet him at other places for dinner. Coz, once he gets back in, if you let him in, you won't have a leg to stand on legally.You'll be back where you started.

Prayerpartner

Answer by Prayerpartner at 6:13 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Ours left after college and one came back for about a year when he went through a layoff. He stayed until he got another job which took quite awhile. There really is no set age. Some kids stay at home to help with family finances. The key is that they have a job and contribute to the food, rent, etc. I have cousins who still live at home and it works out great for those families.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:15 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Another idea... if he's under 25, I think there is Job Corp. or Peace Keepers or any other half a dozen groups he can join that will give him a bed, food, and teach him a trade or working for others. Of course there is always the militrary? Again, not knowing his age or the circumstances, makes it difficult to suggest the proper answer. If you have a son that's not working, sits and watches TV all day while going out at night to party with his friends, you're not alone! It is an apademic. Parents enable them to do it because they feel guilty for some reason or many reasons. But somewhere you have to draw the line or he's going to be a burden until you die. Life is too short, & maybe its time to sit down, giving him the facts. Draw up a contract. Telling him he has thirty days to get a job. Sixty days to move out. Even if its renting a room from someone! Teen Challange is a good start. He doesn't have to be a teenager to go!
    Prayerpartner

Answer by Prayerpartner at 6:20 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• 25
    adelinasmommy

Answer by adelinasmommy at 6:34 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• There is no set age to be out, it depends on the person and his/her ambitions, and those should have been encouraged early one. I have a 23 year old at home who just graduated from the University finding his way slowly into this recession, he is welcome to stay as long as he wants......and needs.

Answer by older at 6:51 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• We have no set age, but once they have jobs that provide enough income and have insurance, then they need to start looking for a place to move.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:07 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I don't know. I moved out of my parents house when I was 18 to go to Florida, but then moved back in a few months later because I was pregnant and wanted my mom to be close to me. I moved out again and back to Florida when I was 20. My parents didn't have a set time for me to get out. As long as I was working or going to school and was helping with things around the house, they didn't mind my living there. My daughter is only two, so I can't say for sure what I'm going to say to her about moving out. Right now I'm going to say that as long as she is working, going to school and helping me out around the house, she can live with me as long as she wants. She will just have to also help out with bills and groceries. I would definitely love for her to be out of my house by the time she was 30, because by then she should have a good job, be out of school and making something of herself.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 10:42 AM on Oct. 20, 2010