Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 Bumps

Ideas for getting an 27yr old to move out?

Need ideas to get a adult child out on his own. Thinks being at home is for life?


Asked by Prayerpartner at 6:23 AM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

Level 20 (10,072 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (20)
  • LOL, I have the same issues w/ my 20 yr old. For me anyway, it is the way I let her grow up-SPOILED. Now I have to train her to be independent & do some tough love such as I cannot give her any $$$$ (still working on that, lol) and let her figure it out. We are not helping our kids by babying them, but we LOVE them-it is so hard. Take small steps and I am sure it will work itself out

    Answer by NicolesMommy at 1:23 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

  • Put his crap out in the front yard and change the locks.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

  • Set down with him and tell him it's time to move onto his own place and life and give him a reasonable time frame. I would tell him that it's time for me to have a life on my own and him also. Tell him you'll always be there for him but it's time to grow up and be gone. 27 is too old to be at home. I would think he's having it too easy at home and doesn't want to leave that comfort.

    Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:26 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

  • Just sit down and talk to him about it. He should be old enough and mature enough to understand why he needs to move out. If he doesn't have a job or isn't in school, then it definitely is time for him to move out and be on his own. He can't rely on mommy and daddy forever. It's easy, that's why he's staying there. Ask him why he hasn't moved out yet or if he is considering it soon. Give him a time limit for moving out, like he has 6 months to save up money and get his own place. And if he doesn't want to move out, start making him pay rent to stay at your house.

    Answer by poptart0325 at 10:39 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

  • 27? Really? Just by the way that you worded your question shows that you are not at all treating him like an adult. I don't think you need ideas on how to get him out. He is a grown-up, an adult, not a minor... and closer to 40 then age1. What you need ideas on is how to allow yourself to treat him like one. I really think you need to put your foot down and stop letting him walk all over you. It's YOUR house, YOUR rules. He is just using you and your kindness. I couldn't imagine doing that to my parents, and not feeling shameful and guilty.

    Put his crap out on the lawn and change the locks. If you insist, give him a 30 day notice, just like in the real world. BUT YOU HAVE TO FOLLOW THROUGH NO MATTER WHAT, otherwise it just reinforces that he is king, and you are to be manipulated instead of respected.

    Answer by squish at 2:19 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

  • Well talk to your child. See why they do not want to leave and maybe you can help! Maybe they are worried,maybe they need your help looking for a place, maybe your child wants to wait until he or she is married IDK. I would sit down and talk!

    Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 8:30 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

  • Tell him that he is an adult and it is time for him to move out onto his own. If he doesn't already have a job then he needs to get one, save up some money, and then move out onto his own.

    Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:56 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

  • Tell him to try it on his own, and don't make life to easy for him. #1 make him do his own laundry. #2 make his provide and make meals for the family. #3 He needs to help clean and do dishes. We make it to easy for them to stay home and enjoy all the maid service mom provides.

    Answer by meandmyshadow at 1:24 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

  • give him/her a timeline that is reasonable; enough time to find work and a bit more time to save couple pay checks then they have to go. stick to your guns.

    Answer by maya123 at 12:44 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

  • Is this child contributing to the house at all? If not , make up a rental agreement if they want to continue to live at home. They need to pay a certain amount {make the amount really big if you want them to really move} for rent, need to pay towards food and utilities as well. I lived with my dad until i was 22 but i had a job, paid bills towards the house, did alot of the food shopping etc. You didnt say whether they had a job or going to school.

    Answer by frndlyfn at 6:18 AM on Oct. 21, 2010