Is religion or religious beliefs the only thing....

that keeps our world from falling apart? I saw several people mention in the post below that without religion our society would essentially be chaos. So I imgaine you also believe that those without religion or beliefs in a god are the ones contributing to the "ills" of society?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 6:55 AM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I thinks it the opposite, personally. I think religion has caused all sorts of problems in the world and throughout history. Something that has no verifiable truth shouldn't be that contested imho.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:02 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• i think you're assuming one might believe that. when i see it said that 'without religion our society would essentially be chaos', i read that to mean 'without order'. religion has so many rules or policies that transfer into the physical laws of the land, whichever land that may be..perhaps that is what they mean by chaos. its been said, ''without order, there is chaos.', and to some extent, i think that is true. rules of society are mirrored in rules of religion. one doesn't make the other..it just is.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:03 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Funny thing is that I actually think the opposite. I think that because so many people fight over religion that is why we have so many problems. If people would just let people believe in what they want and not try to change their views or think that they have a superior religion I think the world would be a better place. Right now so many people are fighting because of and for their beliefs it is almost crazy.

I say let people believe in what ever God they want. I believe we should be practicing religious tolerance instead of fighting.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:03 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I think without religion this world would be a lot more harmonious!

Answer by older at 7:04 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I agree to a certain extent dull. BUT there were some replies that actually stated people would start "going crazy and killing everyone." This extreme line of thinking is what I don't get.
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 7:21 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• No it's not the only thing because most people want to live in peace and aren't looking to cause conflict. However, the man made problems with the world would be the same with or without religion. Most conflict is political and people would still have cultural, and political differences that would cause division.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:24 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I totally agree with you, cornflakegirl3 because everyone believes that their religion is the best and that if you have different beliefs you are hellbound. I feel that a person can believe in whomever they want to believe in without being judged and made to feel like they're sinning. I don't know a lot about The Bible and religion, but I think our world is screwed up because people are fighting over religion all the time. I would rather be spritual than ultra religious because I think it would get rid of all the confusion associated with it.

There's nothing wrong with believing in God, Nature, A Higher Power, or whatever makes you happy, but people have to stop trying to force others to share their beliefs and stop preaching to people all the time.
    browneyes27

Answer by browneyes27 at 7:29 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• No, I don't think so. I'm always vaguely scared by people who claim that their religious beliefs are what keeps them from stealing, pillaging, murdering, and basically just running amuck. I'm more of an optimist and think that people whose bad behaviours are only held in check by fear of divine punishment are the minority.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 7:59 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

•  I saw several people mention in the post below that without religion our society would essentially be chaos.

If that is true then how do they explain the fact that the more secular countries have lower crimes rates than the very religious USA?

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:01 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Even if all we have is a home life, with family, most of us would be bored, aggravated, or if we don't have a big enough home become antsy and want space or some outside influence. Religion or structured learned knowledge of God is normal. If we aren't somewhat curious we'd become robotic waiting hand and foot on one person or another. It's not that we aren't capable. We just need some creator to know, learn about, have a reason for the ways the earth, sky, sun, plants, and people work and grow together, like what creator did this, when, how, and is their anyone waiting for us. Sometimes not caring is an option. Shutting it all off is comfortable. Although God is not just going to go away for long.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:02 AM on Oct. 20, 2010