How to be truly happy

How can a person be truly happy regardless of circumstances? I heard of the movie called The Secret, but I haven't watched it, however, I did read the book and it was interesting. Has anyone on here tried the law of attraction before, and if so, has it changed your life?

browneyes27

Asked by browneyes27 at 7:16 AM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Accepting yourself for who you are - realizing what is in your control and what isn't, and not punishing yourself for what you can't change. You have to be content with yourself, even if that means making the positive changes necessary to be so. Its being happy with what you have, what you are, that paves the way to being happy in life and in general.

At least, I think so. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:33 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Yes, i have tried the law of attraction. It's nothing new to Hindu philosophy. Hindu's have been using the law of attraction for thousands of years. No it has not changed my life. It's not easy to do either. You have to believe & visualize. I'm already happy though. I don't need "things" and "money" to find happiness. I have a gorgeious daughter, a super handsome sweet husband, and the best friends ever. I don't need too much else.

Try studying bhuddism. There will always be suffering, even when you "attract" what you want out of life. The best way to stay happy is to find content in simplicity. The "want more" attitude of most humans just leads them to more suffering.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:46 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• It does not come from a personal relationship with Christ...only for Christians maybe. But not everyone else....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:47 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I have found that the best way to be happy is to be grounded in the present moment, to make the most of the time we have now, and to recognize that most of what we 'want' we don't truly need.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 7:55 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• samurai, The best way to stay happy is to find content in simplicity

This is how I live my life and nothing could be truer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Answer by older at 7:52 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I have learned a lot about being truly happy through Buddhism; I am a Christian, but I have incorporated a lot of Buddhist practices into my life, they really help a lot!

Amoraeterna

Answer by Amoraeterna at 8:36 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• My cousin read "The Secret." She loved it. She said it was about happiness being in the forefront of your mind and making those goals happen. Sounds good to me. The thing is for me, this life is not the only one I am going to have. It is the next life I am looking forward to in God's Kingdom, Him willing.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 9:49 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I know that posive thinking can help as well as living in the moment, but my problem is that I have a hard time letting go of my self-defeating habits. I'm not looking for materialistic things to make me happy because I know better than that, it's just so hard sometimes to let go of what's familiar.

This is something I'm working through, as well. What works best for me is to just remain conscious of those behaviors, and when you catch yourself going down that same old path, stop, take a breath, and step off that path. It's uncomfortable at times, but with practice it becomes easier. =)

KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 9:50 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I have read the book, and find it this has always been my philosophy, but my happiness lies in that simplicity and content.

Answer by older at 7:54 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Happiness is a state of mind, and a choice.

http://www.aolhealth.com/2010/09/29/how-to-be-happy/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-w%7Cdl3%7Csec1_lnk3%7C176657
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:56 AM on Oct. 20, 2010