When to keep your child home from school

My DD is coughin gup phlegm & has a pretty runny nose. She says she is real tired, but i think she may be over acting so she can stay home. She has no fever, she seems to be OK other than her runny nose & cough.

Anyhow, when do you keep your kids home? Should i keep her home or take her to school? She is coughing a lot & did cough up some nasty looking phlegm. I kept her home last week for a day because she had a slight fever but just for a day, she was fine the next day. Could this cold be connected to her 24 hour fever last week?

Anyhow, i think i am going to keep her home to be on the safe side...just want other opinions.

samurai_chica

Asked by samurai_chica at 7:26 AM on Oct. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• I let my kids stay home for different reasons. When they have a fever or are throwing up. If they are just coughing I see how tired they are and if I think they can handle it. If they don't feel 100% I might take them to school and then tell them, if you don't feel good you can go to the nurse. I also let my children take mental health days. I believe that kids need a break just like adults and that there is nothing wrong with taking a break every once and a while. I think you just have to go with you gut. I would prob keep her home today.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:35 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I keep mine home for fevers, and coughing if its so bad that he will just disrupt the class anyways

kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 8:26 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Mine would get to stay home if he hadn't missed much school already. And if he wasn't in high school. He has severe IBS now and gets BAD stomach cramps, he already missed a day or two with it. He is in high school and I won't let him miss much now. I make him take Pepto or something with him just in case.

However, in lower grades, he missed occasionally if he felt bad or had issues which might affect him or the class.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:27 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• thanks cornflake!
    samurai_chica

Comment by samurai_chica (original poster) at 7:39 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I second Cornflake.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:44 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I dont keep my kids home for coughing. I give them some tea with honey before school and send them.
    dmelyoung

Answer by dmelyoung at 8:10 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Even when they are coughing up chunks of mucus? Well, according to the school guidelines...i should be keeping her home. I just checked her school online & they do not want severe coughing kids at her school. Coughing spreads germs very quickly.
    samurai_chica

Comment by samurai_chica (original poster) at 8:13 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I keep my son home when he is sick. That means if he has something he could spread to other children...yes. He had MRSA and I kept him home for 24 hours until the antibiotic had time to kick in. I kept him home when he had a rash and it turned out to be Scarlet Fever. I kept him home when he was vomiting....no kidding. I keep him home with loose stool. I keep him home when he says he doesn't feel well or even if I suspect he might be sick due to his behavior. I keep him home for an additional 24 hours after being sick free just so that he has a recuperation and recovery time. His school thanks me for this. And no my child does not miss a lot of school. In fact, he misses less. As a result of being vigilant and guarding his health along with his the health of his teachers/friends....less illness goes around.  We catch things early (most of the time) and cut down on time needed to be out overall.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:29 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I also do "mental health" days. Every once in a rare while we have a Mom and Son day. While my child is only in preschool I will continue this beyond just the early years. The best child psychologists even support this. I believe it helps him emotionally and boosts his immune system when he feels supported and gets a needed break. When kids get bummed their immune system gets over loaded and opens them up for further illness.  Again, his school has no issues with this.  They know of our plans and they encourage it.  Of course we go to a very small private school where they do not have to meet AYP and so attendence is not primary over the health of a child.  I would say we do about four mental health trips a year in addition to when he is out for general sickness.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:33 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I would keep him home..is it bronchitis? My 14 yr old dd is doing the same thing and I took her and it's bronchitis def keep him home for atleast 2-3 days
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 9:39 AM on Oct. 20, 2010