Dying during delivery or shortly after?

How often do women die during childbirth? Do you have a percentage? I saw somewhere that it is 12 or 17 in 100,000 .. but I would like a percentage if you have one. I'm so scared of this!

& also, if a woman dies, wouldn't they have known beforehand that they had some kind of a risk of dying?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:27 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Pregnancy

• There was a time and in some countries still is a time when childbirth was the leading cause of death for women of child bearing age. But luckily in this country those days have long passed. Thanks to advances in medical technology just about any complication presenting itself during child birth can be solved with the use of medication medical equipment and even surgey. I am living proof! And yes a woman who is at risk to perish during childbirth if she has been recieving prenatal care will be aware of that risk prior to delivering. But it is SO rare! You really dont have anything to worry about. If you are giving birth in a good hospital everythign should be just fine! Congrats and no worries your going to have a beautiful baby!
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 1:49 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• ometimes its just something you cant help or something that just happens .. i wouldnt worry about it if you arae in hospital odds are they can prevent mostly anything unless your really really bad off to begin with but i really dont think its something to worry about
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 7:28 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• During the past several decades, there has been a dramatic decrease in maternal mortality in the United States. Since 1980, however, the rate of decline has slowed.

In 2000, there were 396 maternal deaths which resulted from complications during pregnancy, childbirth, or the postpartum period up to 42 days. The maternal mortality rate of 9.8 per 100,000 live births was not significantly different from prior years and has remained fairly stable since 1982.

The maternal mortality rate for Black women (22.0 per 100,000 live births) is almost three times the rate for White women (7.5 per 100,000 live births).

http://mchb.hrsa.gov/chusa03/pages/status.htm
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 7:30 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• the rest of what i read is all the way towards the bottom
    iloveyall2008

• I'm sorry your so scared of this..must be tough. Um..I would think all women know that when giving birth to a child they could die...I mean they should have taught that in sex ed, lamaze or from your mother. My mom almost died having me from loss of to much blood. There are other reasons and I would think you could google that or look it up somewhere on the net for percentages.
    stayhomemom22

Answer by stayhomemom22 at 7:32 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Some health statisticians note the total number of maternal deaths — still fewer than 600 each year — is small.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20427256/

All pregnant women have fears and concerns. That is completely normal. Your chances are slim to having any problems at all. Try to relax and have faith that all will be ok. I wasted countless hours with worries that never took place...i missed out on enjoying my pregnancy!
    Take care and Congrats!
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 7:34 PM on Oct. 28, 2008