I am sick...My OB gave me 500 MG of Amoxx 3 times a day....Is it really safe?

MaMaTreZZa

Asked by MaMaTreZZa at 8:14 AM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Pregnancy: Teratogenic Effects: Pregnancy Category B. Reproduction studies have been performed in mice and rats at doses up to 10 times the human dose and have revealed no evidence of impaired fertility or harm to the fetus due to amoxicillin. There are, however, no adequate and well-controlled studies inpregnant women. Because animal reproduction studies are not always predictive of human response, this drug should be used during pregnancy only if clearly needed.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:18 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Labor and Delivery: Oral ampicillin-class antibiotics are poorly absorbed during labor. Studies in guinea pigs showed that intravenous administration of ampicillin slightly decreased the uterine tone and frequency of contractions but moderately increased the height and duration of contractions. However, it is not known whether use of amoxicillin in humans during labor or delivery has immediate or delayed adverse effects on the fetus, prolongs the duration of labor, or increases the likelihood that forceps delivery or other obstetrical intervention orresuscitation of the newborn will be necessary.

BradenIsMySon

• BradenIsMySon

• BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:19 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

•  I call the pharmacy sometimes and double check. i just tell them I'm pregnant and is it safe to take this... good luck

kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 8:20 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• what do you have? if the risk of the infection entering your blood or giving you a very high fever is good, then obviously the risk or using antibiotics outweighs the harm to the baby that rampant infection would cause. if you are sick in the runny nose and cough sort of a way (a cold or flu), then i would not take antibiotics since they will not help that.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:21 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I have a very sore throat
    MaMaTreZZa

Comment by MaMaTreZZa (original poster) at 8:24 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• did it test positive for strep? if it is strep, amoxicillin won't really help much and you might get it again.... did they take a swab to test why it was sore?
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:29 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• No strep....I cant swallow I had a fever....Chills....My son is also sick...Upper resp infection
    MaMaTreZZa

Comment by MaMaTreZZa (original poster) at 8:32 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• is it a virus? because antibiotics are not going to do anything to a virus.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:36 AM on Oct. 20, 2010