Tumbling/Dance Recital or Not?

DD has been in some form of tumbling or dance since she was 17 months old at a place that does yearly recitals. I absolutely LOVE that they have these recitals and get so excited to see DD performing on stage (which she loves to be center of attention, so she loves it too).

I've noticed recently that some parents don't want to put their kids in a place that does recitals and, being that it would be a must have for me in looking for a studio, I just don't understand why someone would NOT want them.

What is/would be your preference?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 8:25 AM on Oct. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• we LOVE recitals! And I sed to do ballet, and recitals are a chance to be scouted, and I had Julliardconversing with my mother about scholarships! I think if they are good it is a must!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:41 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• i would prefer not to have them in a recital....it is alot of added expense and with my nephew they had a lot of manditory rehersals and preformances that were late at night and way past his bedtime on a school night so i totally can see where they're coming from.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:27 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I would love them. I enjoy seeing my child perform. I loved school plays, band concerts...all that. My son recently got to be onstage playing his guitar with a band and then solo at my uncles party. I enjoy it all. LOL

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:30 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Wow, that was bigger than I thought. Sorry..LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:31 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• My daughter danced from the age of three and it never crossed my mind that she not perform in the recital. Now, 20 years later, same daughter works as a dance instructor and she comments often about the extra expense associated with the costumes, new tights, hair bows, etc required by the studio for the recital. An added $65 may not be much to you or me, but might be a huge issue to others who are struggling just to pay the monthly tuition.

My daughter is hoping to open her own studio next year and she is already considering ways to keep the expense down so more kids can participate.

Also, I remember my daughter's recitals were always in early May which often conflicted with graduations and weddings. Maybe people just don't want the extra hassel.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 8:52 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Now THAT I would understand.

Where DD goes, the only added expense is a $65 costume and there are no extra classes in preparation.
    AllAboutKeeley

Comment by AllAboutKeeley (original poster) at 8:30 AM on Oct. 20, 2010