Separated Ab muscles??

OK, so I just had baby #2, she's 3 months old now. I was doing some crunches and I happened to feel my stomach and I felt that the muscles are separated. SOOO, I'm gonna see my doc, but I'm not sure which one I should see, my OB/GYN or my PCP? Also, what do they do and what happens when you wanna get prego again?? Thanks in advance!

Paesana82

Asked by Paesana82 at 7:56 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Health

• Is the seperation sort of a line from your sternum down to your navel? If so, that is pretty common. I'm assuming it doesn't hurt or you'd have noticed it sooner. There are exercises you can do to correct it. I wish I still had that website link... Be careful because standard ab exercises can actually make it worse. Mine is better, but not completely gone (my son is almost 18 months old now). What helped most was actually pushing a stroller while really focusing on maintaining a ridiculously correct upright posture for about 30 minutes at a time a few times a week. You can also lay on the floor with your knees bent and your feet flat on the floor, and gently raise your hips just a couple of inches off the ground. Do that over and over. I don't know that there is anything a doctor will do about it unless it is really severe. It shouldn't be a problem with your next pregnancy, as far as I know.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 8:18 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• This sounds like something one of my online friends has. She was planning on going to get it fixed but wanted to lose some weight first and decided to have another baby. She's only 1/4 of the way through her pregnancy but they didn't seem too worried about it.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:59 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I have this also. It's seperated about 3-4 finger lengths. Don't do regular crunches. It could make it worse. If you do them, put one hand on each side of your abs and press the muscles towards each other. This will help. But there really is nothing to completely fix it if it's a significant seperation. Only a tummy tuck, where the muscles are stitched back together. And it's not covered by insurance, no matter the severity because it's won't cause any problems. It sucks lol.
    Anonymous

• strengthening your core GENTLY by some beginner yoga positions.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 11:56 PM on Oct. 28, 2008