Whats everyones views on a flu shot? im 27 weeks pregnant and doctor asked if i want one ive never gotten one before so im nervous

datgurlmeggy

Asked by datgurlmeggy at 8:34 AM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i didn't get one when i was pregnant, but i think i will get it for all of the kids this year since my oldest is in school now.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:35 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I never get them, and I never get the flu. I got the flu shot this year though since I have a newborn at home. Even though I never get sick with the flu, I would hate to bring the germs home and get my baby sick. I'm not sure if you can get it while you're pregnant?
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 8:36 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I havent gotten one, I'm 36 weeks pregnant. I know you can actually get the flu from the flu shot so I'm really iffy about taking it, especially at this stage in the game. The last thing I want to do is get the flu and than be sick when my daughter is born and possibly get her sick. As for you its a personal choice, and I would definitely talk to your doctor about it and see what he/she advises and than decide.
    Jezzeria

Answer by Jezzeria at 8:36 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/pregnant.htm  CDC says it is safe.

I won't get it pregnant or not. Neither will my son.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:37 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I never got the shot when i was pregnant. I've recently chosen not to get the shot at all. It has to be your decision, so do research it some. There are some groups here on CM that discuss vaccines, pro and con. I do know that the flu shot has not really been tested for pregnant women. Good luck.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 8:39 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I will be getting it and so will my kids but this is because my daughter has a week immune system and if she were to get the flu it would result in a hospital stay at the least. if you are high risk for getting the flu, working with the public, going to school, have children in school, or are out in public a lot it is probably a good idea to get it if you are considering it anyway. If you generally stay home and dont have much chance to catch the flu I don't think it will be a big deal if you dont get it.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 8:40 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I put them off until after I had my baby.
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 8:44 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I get them, and I got one when I was pregnant for my youngest. That being said, I don't think I would get my first one while being pregnant. There have been a few times that I got sick from it - you just don't know how your body is going to react. Unless you are a school teacher/day care worker, or in some other profession that has contact with a lot of kids, I wouldn't get it.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:52 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• i got a flu shot when i was preg and was told that it is really important for a preg woman to have a flu shot, it also protects your baby after he/she is born...there is a tiny chance that you could get flu symptoms from it but its rare and IMO its worth that small risk to protect yourself and your baby, especially if the baby is going to be born during or around flu season....i was VERY NERVOUS also but everything was fine and i was glad i did it...if you'll remember, st one point there was a shortage of flu shots....?? well the only people that could get them at that point were children, elderly, immuno-compromised, and pregnant women....so it is important.
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 8:55 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I had never had a flu shot before I was pregnant, but I decided to get one after my DH told me he had read about studies linking flu during pregnancy to schizophrenia when he was getting his masters in psychology. I decided to get one, because he said it was really important to him; after reading about it myself, I decided I didn't want to take any chances. If you choose not to get one (or if someone has some medical reason for not getting one), I would be REALLY careful about avoiding people with the flu, have good handwashing practices, and other preventative measures to limit the chances of getting exposed to the flu.

Here's a general link with some information. I'm sure there's more information about the studies out there too.
    Schizophrenia Linked to Flu in Pregnancy

pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:58 AM on Oct. 20, 2010