Clarence Thomas wife leaves voicemail asking Anita Hill to apologize and explain herself, why after 19 years?

WASHINGTON – Anita Hill is refusing to apologize for accusing then-Supreme Court justice nominee Clarence Thomas of sexually harassing her, in an issue that Thomas' wife has reopened 19 years after his confirmation hearings.

"I have no intention of apologizing because I testified truthfully about my experience and I stand by that testimony," Hill, now a Brandeis University professor, said in a statement released Tuesday night.

Thomas' wife, Virginia, had left a voicemail message on Hill's phone over the weekend asking her to say she was sorry for the allegations that surfaced at Thomas' confirmation hearings for a seat on the high court bench in 1991.

In her statement, Hill said, "I certainly thought the call was inappropriate." She had worked for Clarence Thomas in two federal government jobs prior to the time he was selected for the court by President George H.W. Bush for the Supreme Court.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 8:43 AM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• This tea bagger agenda supporter 19 years LEAVE ANITA HILL ALONE!!!! Face it your HUSBAND is a cheater period.
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 11:35 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Maybe she was looking for closure? Atonement of some kind? From what I remember, public opinion went from supporting Anita Hill to believing that she lied.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:47 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Maybe because she is in denial that her husband was hitting on other women & needs some kind of reassurement that her husband was telling the truth when he said none of it was true. It's obviously still painful for her.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:47 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101020/ap_on_go_su_co/us_anita_hill_virginia_thomas

Virginia Thomas, a longtime conservative activist, said in a statement that she was "extending an olive branch" to Hill.

In a transcript of the message provided by ABC News, which said it listened to the recording, Thomas identified herself and then said, "I just wanted to reach across the airwaves and the years and ask you to consider something. I would love you to consider an apology sometime and some full explanation of why you did what you did with my husband. So give it some thought and certainly pray about this and come to understand why you did what you did. OK, have a good day," Thomas said.

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 8:44 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

I dont think anyone thought she was lying

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 8:51 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Yes alot of people think shes is a liar..personally I do not know enough about it to make any judgement.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:56 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• It's kind of odd, but maybe it's part of therapy.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:34 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

I doubt it, You don't ask for an apology from someone else...thats not your own stuff thats someone else's

She wanted her name in the public for a reason...remember, she is into politics not....

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 10:36 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

)___________________
    not always. My therapist made me confront my mom and ask for an apology... If she's having self esteem issues, confronting a person who wronged her may be part of it.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:51 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• not always. My therapist made me confront my mom and ask for an apology... If she's having self esteem issues, confronting a person who wronged her may be part of it.

Family is one thing, someone that accused your husband of a crime 20 years ago? a very PUBLIC crime....All she did was bring it BACk in the mesia spotlight

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 11:05 AM on Oct. 20, 2010