Do religious leaders tend to forget they aren't the ultimate rule makers and judges sometimes?

making all these nitpicky rules and violations over things that a god really wouldn't care about in the grand scheme of things

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 8:46 AM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes I do. Not just the leaders some of the followers tend to forget it too.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:36 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I tend to think they do forget. However, some would argue that what these officials are doing are based on their personal communications with God.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 8:54 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• "God told me" Which is a total copout to be a bully and a control freak or make rules about things they don't personally like or feel comfortable with
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I think that some of them come to believe that they ARE God, and whatever whim they have is God's will. They use the "God told me" line, and their followers believe them. Heck, the religious leader himself may even believe it. They come to believe they are omnipotent, and superior to their followers.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:06 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• so your saying God doesn't really care if I drink coffee or eat red meat or find someone of the same gender attractive? imagine that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I think some do. Its typical of humans, though. We have to remember that religion is an ideal, and faith/spirituality is a process of working towards that ideal. Some do better than others when it comes to fulfilling the ideals of what the religions ask of us. ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:15 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Oh geez. Don't stop at just religious leaders, hon. Continue........
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 9:19 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Oh, so you mean that I'm not going to hell for living with my boyfriend, drinking, swearing, and having a grand old time living my life?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:44 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I think that ANY leader, be it religious, political, PTA, or Home Owner Association can forget that they are merely human and are not the ultimate rule makers. But as for religious leaders, that is why the new testament church was set up with preachers, elders, and deacons. That being said, if a church allows its preachers to become dictators and not speakers of the word, then it is the fault of the church. True authority anywhere comes from God. Want to know what he says? Read the bible.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 10:53 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Yep! Power corrupts... You tell someone they have the Power of GOD behind them, and they are bound to be corrupted...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:37 AM on Oct. 20, 2010