Do the shows have an obligation to step in?

Today had a story this morning on one of the girls from Teen Mom being investigated by the state and possibly losing her child. They have footage of her repeatedly assaulting the baby's father - not just smacking him, but punching with a closed fist, and in front of the child. I remember seeing one of the assaults in previews aired on every channel, so MTV had no problem with taping it or airing it. This is also not the only time a reality show has shown that kind of assault (Real World, Top Chef, Real Housewives, BGC - and a ton of others).

Do the producers of these shows have an obligation to step in and break up a fight and to not air it? If they don't step in, should they be held legally responsible for the assault as well? In some cases, they feed the participants a steady supply of alcohol to make the fights more likely. In this case, if they charge the teen mom, should MTV employees be charged as an accessory?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:47 AM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Morally, yes, Legally, No, because MTV producers are not mandated reporters so therefore they are not breaking any laws. There are only 3 states that require reporting or helping someone in trouble and in all three states, the crime being committed has to be a felony. I do not watch these show, so I have no idea what type of assault they are doing to each other.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:52 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Amber is a HORRIBLE parent BESIDES the abuse..

Her kid SHOULD have been taken,,she is being investigated..

I think because of HIS size, they didn't intervene. If HE was hitting on her they probably would...

He held himself well, someone punches you in the face and you don't hit back....thats restraint

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:53 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• well i really think half that shit is staged even the case and stuff like with teen mom all that shit is just a way to get more people to watch
    Paigesmommy78

Answer by Paigesmommy78 at 8:53 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I had a friend who worked on the set of "the real world" for many years. They manipulate people into hating each other & encourage any kind of fighting. I'm sure it's the same with any reality TV show. For some reason, people love to watch that stuff. You ask a good question, I'm honestly not sure if they should be charged. If they are to get charged, it would change reality TV, which is no bother to me since i hate it all anyway.

But, is it really their place to step in? If you see an acquaintance fighting with someone, should you step in before it gets too ugly? Or are you going to leave it alone? If you leave it alone, are you also responsible for assault? Does the circumstance make a difference?

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:55 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I think so. If you were in a room with someone and an argument was getting heated to the point of punched being thrown would you intervene? (not a bar, there are bouncers there for that purpose.) I'd like to think I would and should.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 8:56 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Someone NEEDS to step in with Caitlyn's Mom, her problem isn't judging her daughter for adoption, its SUBSTANCE ABUSE

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:02 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• If that is staged to get more viewers, what does that say about people?
    The last thing I want to do is watch a bunch of losers,pregnant teens and their stupid boyriends, fighting. A girl who punches a guy with her closed fist is an ignorant loser and should NEVER have had a baby.Well, NONE of those airhead girls should be Moms. I am still amazed that they created this show and put it on TV. Pathetic.
    So--since MTV is airing this show, they need to admit they are partly responsible for the crap that happens . Its all disgusting.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:14 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Yes, it is absolutely their responsibility to make sure no one gets hurt, and I haven't seen the show you are talking about, but the participants need to understand that their actions are going to be aired on tv and will have consequences.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:31 AM on Oct. 20, 2010