Is depriving a certain group of people from being able to do certain things a matter of power or principles?

I wanna know why most people are so gung ho on making other people's lives miserable? I don't get it. Is your life so unfulfilling that you have to screw up someone elses? I am of course referring to those who don't want gays to have rights, but as a general topic it seems like an on-going trend with human kind. It seems like it's never enough to be content with your own life you have to go and ruin someone elses. I understand morality and not wanting to feel uncomfortable around people who have a different standard of living, but does it really need to go as far as depriving them from jobs, having a family and living where ever the hell they want to live? When is the power trip going to stop?

GinNTonic

Asked by GinNTonic at 8:51 AM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I honestly don't believe it's a power trip, gay rights are a morality issue. Those who oppose gay rights believe that they are an abomination and shouldn't be afforded "special" rights because they are gay.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:54 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Well if they don't support gays all they have to do is NOT be gay. Let people be gay if they are gay, what's the point in trying to stop something you can't stop?
    GinNTonic

Comment by GinNTonic (original poster) at 8:56 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I don't think they want to stop them from being gay necessarily, they just don't want them to have the benefits of traditional marriages and equal opportunity rights. They object to them being a protected class of people, they are not handicapped, they have made a choice.

Btw, I support gay rights. I don't agree with the opposition - but I've listened to their arguments.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:02 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Those aren't arguements, they're excuses.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 9:10 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• It's all about power. Anytime the state deprives anyone of rights it's about power and control.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 9:37 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• It's about power. They want to be able to force others to live by their own personal values and "morality." They feel their way is the ONLY way, and anyone not following their way is BAD. And BAD people don't deserve rights.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 9:41 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I agree SuperChicken. That seems to be it---I see the power trips here on CM,too. Historically, there have always been religious power trips ---people who try to shut out people who are not like them. Jews,Blacks and now Gays.
    In order to further assure themselves that only THEY are right, they put down others who are different. It is a sick state of mind.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:04 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Someday we will all be medium brown skinned with medium brown hair and brown eyes, worship the same way, speak the same languauge and life will be BORING!
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 10:17 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• It's NOT about power. These kinds of arguments actually go nowhere, because, people that oppose gay rights usually do so for one of two reasons, a) they are deeply religious and believe their religious text forbids gay relations, or b) they are really bigoted.

In my happy world, I like to believe that it's mostly a).
    The b's will not be helped no matter how many arguments you have.
    The a's will only vote for gay rights if they believe deeply in the separation of church and state, or if they come to the realization (as I have) that portions of the Bible didn't translate well to English.

At any rate, the best bet is to run from the b's and listen carefully and gently to the a's, and not invalidate them right out of the gate. It's not a power trip, they are simply doing what they believe is right. Gentleness and understanding is key, putting people on the defensive immediately is not.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:20 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• To bad that gentleness and understanding isn't key when it comes to the "deeply religious" considering the rights of others.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 10:25 AM on Oct. 20, 2010