what kinds of things would you feed a 9 month old with 4 teeth?

i have received conflicting answers about this with family members. with my other 2 kids i fed them anything we ate when they had teeth, could crawl and sit well in the highchair. it was usually by 9 to 10 months. my youngest got 4 teeth all at once and she has more teeth at her age than my other two did. anyways, i decided she could eat little small pieces of what we ate at breakfast, lunch and dinner. she eats cheerios and a babyfood fruit for breakfast. whatever we eat for lunch, small and cut up. and same for dinner, except with an added baby food vegetable. and of course her formula in between all of this. is it too soon to let her explore with certain table foods? obviously, im not going to serve her things like pizza, spicy foods, or anything like that. but for example the other night she ate some chicken and yellow rice, and the night before meatloaf.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 8:52 AM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My almost 13 year old has no teeth at all (they are just starting to show up in the bottom just barely) and she eats ENTIRE whole apples and has been for months. Teeth are not required for eating. You should see her tear apart mango spears, cucumber, rye crisps, cantaloupe spears and other foods.

We follow baby led solids here check out this website link (click on the Gil Rapely article). Its' the best thing we ever did
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:39 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• As long as the peices she is getting are small enough so that she doesn't choke, and she is chewing the food properly, I would feed her whatever you felt comfortable. Watch carefully with new foods, and only introduce them one at a time, so that if she does have a reaction to something, you can identify the source. GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 8:54 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• my daughter didnt get her first 2 teeth til 10 months but at around 9 months she was starting to eat what we had for dinner.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 9:42 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• 13 MONTH ... NOT year. lol :)
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:44 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Watch those process foods like gerber graduates. They have a lot of salt and sugar added to make them palatable. A baby shoudn't have added salt. Read the labels. If you see a salt content of .5 grams (500 mg) per 100 grams of food that's a very high salt content. Foods with the lowest salt content should have less than .1 grams (100 mg) per 100 grams of food. 4 grams of sugar equals 1 teaspoon. So also do the math on amount of sugar per serving. Pretty much things that are processed are things to avoid. Be careful of applesauce...its often essentially pureed sugar and water. A good wholesome apple will always be the better bet.

You are better off taking 10 minutes to boil some pasta and tossing with some tomatoes.

You shouldn't have to mash food for a baby of that age; unless it already comes that way.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:46 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Sorry for got to add a child of age 1-3 should have no more than 1g (1000mg) of total sodium per day.

That Gerber Turkey Ravioli Gradual meal has 240 mg of sodium. Think about this: A small Mcdonald's small french fry has 140mg of sodium, the medium has 270mg, and the large has 300mg.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:54 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• By 8 months all 4 of my kids were eating what we ate for meals, not mashed just cut up small - they were all late teethers and had no more than 4 teeth. No more jarred baby food, just fresh fruit and steamed veggies

Answer by missanc at 11:30 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• By 9.5 months old, my kid could hold and eat a kids burger. I agree with Amileegirl. Small bites of anything you eat is great. None of the Gerber crap. Avocados, baked sweet potatoes...
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:34 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• At 9 months I fed my kids anything we were having whether they had teeth or not.  Having front teeth has nothing to do with chewing.  They are for biting and tearing pieces off.  Molars are for chewing and most kids don't get them until after they turn 1.

My youngest dd was self feeding at 8 months (her first meal was Thanksgiving at 7 1/2 months).  She ate whatever we were having within reason (no steak or hard to chew foods).  We just chopped everything up tiny or made it mushy.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:09 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• My kids all got table foods at that age. Even the spicy stuff!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:44 PM on Oct. 20, 2010