Where do I get Cool, FREE music for slideshows that can be used on the web FREE?

I am a photographer and I love to put together slideshows of the photo shoots we do. Playing the slideshows without music appears to be a bit dull (even though the pictures aren't). I found a place that I can download free music for slideshows for personal use - but if I want to put them on the web, I have to buy the rights, even if I'm not selling it. I would like to do A LOT of slideshows - but am just a small business and can not invest in music rights right now - and some of it is done just for fun...because I like people or the pictures or my job. Anyone have any ideas? (And most of the free music isn't even great - that I've found). I don't mind buying songs - iTunes, etc. But they still can't be legally used on slideshows - even for personal use! Anyone? Anything?

augsmom

Asked by augsmom at 9:01 AM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I use Frostwire fo rmy sutff. :) You can get any song on there you want. :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 9:04 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Do I have to download Frostwire first before I can listen to anything? I don't understand how you can get any song you want and use it legally without the rights from the copyrighter?
    augsmom

Comment by augsmom (original poster) at 9:22 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I'd like to know more about this too.
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 1:23 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I've contacted all the major record labels that hold copyrights for songs - they offered me, for a couple hundred dollars a year, rights to songs - claiming they have a large selection. I found this other place, I think it was freeplay.com and I can download them for free and use them for my own personal use - mostly classical and instrumental - not really what I was looking for. For $25 per song, I can buy the rights. My husband has the computer doing a scan on his side so I can't download the Frostwire to my side and I haven't been able to look into it yet.
    augsmom

Comment by augsmom (original poster) at 1:52 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Not sure I agree with iTunes not allowed on slideshows for personal use. What's the difference between buying a tune/downloading it and listening to it vs. having it as background on a slideshow for personal use? If you're selling your slideshow DVDs, that may be another issue but I've used iTunes music on my slideshows (personal use only).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:00 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• limewire
    jessesmama22

Answer by jessesmama22 at 9:47 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• THIS IS WHAT I FOUND OUT FROM FREE PLAY MUSIC.COM - NOT REALLY WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR
    As per our Terms of Use,
    we offer free use of our music for home, personal, private, non-commercial
    use and student educational use for in-classroom projects, non-broadcast.
    However, most other uses, including on the web, require a paid license. We
    make every effort to keep the rates for personal use minimal. Our standard
    rates for one year of personal web video use is $25, per music title, per 4
    minutes of use, per URL.
    augsmom

Comment by augsmom (original poster) at 11:32 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• AND to the iTunes comment with the regards to using them on your personal slideshows - I don't think you're allowed to do that unless you have permission from the copyright holder. Oops!
    augsmom

Comment by augsmom (original poster) at 11:33 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Limewire looks to be the same as Frostwire. I don't need a place to SHOW my slideshows. I need a place that offers music that can be played on the web for free as backup music to my slideshows on my current website.
    augsmom

Comment by augsmom (original poster) at 11:35 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• http://www.seabreezecomputers.com/tips/freemusic.htm

Still looking - above I found Royalty Free Music at No Charge. An article where the writer offers links to other FREE places to get music.
    augsmom

Comment by augsmom (original poster) at 8:50 AM on Nov. 12, 2010