For those that were upset with Katy Perry's appearance on Sesame Street

I am honestly curious and would love mature answers (rather than bashing):

What are your opinions of public breast feeding? I know this seems out of left field but there was actually a coherent train of thought that led me to this. I keep reading how breast feeding in public is acceptable for many reasons of of which is that the human body is nothing to be ashamed of. If that is the case why is the tiny bit of cleavage that was shown by her outfit not okay for children yet seeing a whole breast is?
The argument of 'breastfeeding is natural' is not valid here because that is not the issue because it is just as natural to feed children in private. Such as I don't hand my daughter a cheeseburger in the waiting room at the doctor's while we wait to be called because it is not the appropriate time.
(I asked anon so that I don't get PMs yelling at or 'trying to educate' me.)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I think if Sesame St is the worst thing that happens in your day then you had a good day.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:25 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I am not upset with Katy Perry's performance...I don't know why anyone would be. She was not topless. LOL> ANd public breast feeding doesn't bother me either,if done tastefully.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 9:56 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I don't know if it's just me, but I'm not the type of mother that will cover up my child's eyes if a boob is shown on T.V. (within reason. As long a they aren't "doing" anything) or in person. I won't my child to look at the human body as a beautiful thing. As for the Katy Perry thing I have no issue with a little "cleavage" because the outfit she wore on the show isn't anything different than what my daughter sees at dance class or any of her recitals.
    iluvmm09

Answer by iluvmm09 at 9:24 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I'm all FOR breastfeeding, and although I would BF publicly IF I HAD TO, I would cover up with a blanket or something. That's just me. When DD was tiny though, I put breastmilk in a bottle and brought it with us. She never had any problems with nipple confusion. I don't look down on any mamas who BF in public... in fact I support them. I'm not one of those passionate warrior moms about it though. To each their own. Let it be. Relax and love your neighbor.
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 9:12 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• 1st...breastfeeding does not specifically entail seeing a whole breast. Even moms who don't cover up with a blanket don't necessarily show their breast or even a nipple(which would be covered by the child). I tried using a blanket with my children and it did not work so I worked out a way to feed them without baring myself to the world. It is true that anyone watching me would not have had to think hard to figure out what I was doing but they never saw more than my shirt next to my baby's head.
    I have never been one to complain about cleavage, mainly because I am well-endowed myself and some shirts give you no other option than to show a little cleavage.
    Having said that, I don't think it's her cleavage that bothers people. It's the tiny bit of material over each breast.
    And having said that, I really don't see what the big deal is. You see more skin at the beach...or the ice capades...and those are for kids too!
    siggyluvingal

Answer by siggyluvingal at 9:20 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Breast in a sexual manner is not okay, breast in a nurturing and feeding manner is great.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 10:47 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Ballewal - How was Katy being sexual? I don't think that she wanted a romp with Elmo the muppet. That's not meant as rude, I'm just wondering.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 1:01 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• i am totally confused on why they took it off that show.. i know her dress was somewat provactive but if they thought it would be bad why wouldnt they tell her while filming?
    Tiffany_Rivera_

Answer by Tiffany_Rivera_ at 1:04 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I do not have a problem with cleavage nor public breastfeeding. I do however wish to receive a pass when during the course of a benign conversation, a woman exposes her breast to feed her infant and I lose my train of thought.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 2:29 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Hobbit, as a large-breasted woman who shows a bit of cleavage almost daily, I can assure you that I am not "exposing cleavage" to draw sexual attention so much as I prefer to not limit my wardrobe to crew or turtlenecks.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 2:34 PM on Oct. 20, 2010