Who watches Teen Mom and how are you going to talk to your daughter about NOT having sex? adult content

Kelly2573

Asked by Kelly2573 at 9:08 AM on Oct. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• I watch teen mom, and I am going to share with my dds and ds that you may think you want to be with a person sexually but will later regret it. To make sure that its really what THEY want and not their partners wants. And if they do choose to have sex then ALWAYS wear a condom. Not just to prevent pregnancy, but stds as well
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:14 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I am a teen mom myself and I will tell her the honest truth. I will tell my daughter that I had sex a total of one time and it was protected and I still got pregnant. Also I will tell her that since I've had sex young I can no longer share that special moment with my future husband. Of course I will say all this in a way that won't sound like I regret having her because I don't in anyway.
    iluvmm09

Answer by iluvmm09 at 9:16 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I have seen a few episodes, but I lived Teen Mom. I was 15 when I found out I was pregnant with our oldest daughter. She knows I love her immensly and would not trade her for the world, but I've not sugar coated the truth either. She also knows that my story is not the typical one. When she was 5 months old her daddy and I got married and we've been together for 17 years (married for 15). We've talked about this for several years now, it's very important to me that she have all the facts.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:13 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• i wont tell them not to.. ill teach them safe sex and how to be safe and not get stds.. abstinence isnt key anymore u teach them both so they dont end up pregnant
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 10:15 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I do not have a daughter and never will. But my son will be talked to as well about the importance of safe sex but preferrably waiting. We will also discuss that IF you get a girl pregnant...you will get a job, finish school, pay for that child, be an involved father,etc.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:16 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I do watch it but I don't have a daughter I have sons and I don't think it just needs to be the female needed talking to I think you should talk to yoru sons as well because the girl can't get pregnant with out the boy.
    jessesmama22

Answer by jessesmama22 at 10:41 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I agree that we should be talking to our sons as well as our daughters..I watched an episode a couple of years ago on Oprah that really registered with me, they talked to a teen couple who say they were ready to have sex they loved each other and all that and Oprah asked a lot of good questions but one that hit it on the head for most teenaged girls who do want to have sex was, she asked how long they think they will be together. The girl quickly anwsered I think we will get married and be together forever the boy was less quick to anwser he said like a couple of months or something..This was huge for me bc it is soooo true when I was a teenage girl I was in LOVE and thought it was forever..And most teenage boys feel like it is more about the sex.. for the girl it is an EMOTIONAL thing to have sex.. We give that to someone we love..That for me is something should be talked about more..
    Kelly2573

Comment by Kelly2573 (original poster) at 10:51 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I have watched it, but I was also pregnant at 17 and placed my first born for adoption. It was the hardest and most painful decision I've ever made and both of my boys know this. They have watched teen mom with me and we have had many conversations about sex and relationships since they were young. They have known about my first pregnany since they were 3, they have seen the pain and tears that I still go through and they have always asked questions. I tell my boys how girls are different from boys when it comes to sex and it is not something you can take lightly with a girl because it can mean so much more to them as it should for my boys as well. I also teach them how to protect themselves not from just pregnancy but STD's. I don't believe in the concept of abstinence, I would rather give the factsand the risks while continuing to stress the importance of waiting.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 11:26 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• This is part of the reason why I am glad I have boys. However, I guess they could be the problem.
    jshimmy

Answer by jshimmy at 11:28 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Well, I don't watch the show, I don't get that station... But I will NOT talk about my kids (boys or girls) about not having sex. I don't believe it's a bad thing as long as they are doing things safely and are honest about what is going on... I had lots of sex as a teen, and in order to keep my mother from finding out, I did things very very unsafely, I don't see any good reason to try and force teens in to unnatural celibacy.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:20 PM on Oct. 20, 2010