Just a ? about dilation

ok i wanted to know if you can dilate with out having contractions? i don't know if you can. or being in any type of pain my mom didn't well that what she says.

tandie1977

Asked by tandie1977 at 9:14 AM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I never did.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 9:16 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I think so cause when i was like 8 months with dd , the doctor checked i was already DIL at 3 don't remember having contractions

kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 9:18 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I was 3 cm dilated for about a week. I was really surprised when they told me I was because I hadn't had any contractions or felt any different.
    LadyKiki

Answer by LadyKiki at 9:19 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• yes, you can dilate and not know it, but you probably just dont FEEL the contx....it is my understanding that the contx cause the dilation so contx HAVE to happen, whether you know they are happening or not is a different thing
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 9:25 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• yep, I was 3 cm at 36 weeks. I was still 3 cm at 42 weeks when I was induced
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:25 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I don't know. My last OB appointment when I was pregnant was six days before my daughter was born (eight days late) and I wasn't dilated or effaced.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 9:44 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Contractions are what help you dilate, but it is possible to dilate without feeling the contractions. Lots of people go in for those last few doctor visits and are told they're 1, 2, 3, etc. cm dilated without any indication. And it's not unheard of for some women to have pain-free labors.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:23 AM on Oct. 20, 2010