Dilated 1 cm & 80% effaced

I am 35 wks 3 days and my OB checked my cervix yesterday and said I am barely dilated to a 1 but I'm about 80% effaced. Then she said she thinks this baby will come within 2 weeks. I asked why she thought that, and she said that since it's my 2nd pregnancy she thinks that once I thin out 100% and start dilating it will happen really quick. I've been having cramping and some contractions over the past couple weeks, but not a lot. Who else has been dilated to 1 and 80% effaced & had their baby within 2 weeks? I'm not really buying it. I was at a 1 with my 1st baby for 2 weeks, and went over my due date so how does she really know? Or is she just trying to get my hopes up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i stayed at 3 for 2 weeks
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 9:31 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I stayed at 3cm for 6 weeks. I was told DS would come early, by Halloween... he was born the day after Thanksgiving
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:42 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Well, I was a one at 38 weeks, a 2 at 39 and went into labor at 40 weeks and 2 days and he was born after only 7 hours of labor.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:03 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• was 4cm at 75% effaced at 28 wks i had her at 38 wks
    with ds i was 3cm and 50% effaced at 32 weeks had him at 37 wks.
    so maybe yes maybe no
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:57 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Doctors for some reason always say they think the baby will come early. I think they're either trying to boost the morale of the mom or wishful thinking themselves.

A friend of mine sat at 3 cm and 80% effaced for 3 or 4 weeks. My mom said she was at 4 cm for 4 weeks before I was born, and I was a week late.

I, on the other hand, was dilated to "maybe a 1" at 39 weeks 3 days and not effaced at all, and had my baby 3 days later.

"Progress" means nothing. It might happen tomorrow, it might not happen for another 6 weeks.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:26 AM on Oct. 20, 2010