Are you scared to have surgeries?

I am terrified , I want to get my tubes tied ,

kileighsmommie

Asked by kileighsmommie at 9:39 AM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Health

• I've always been afraid of surgery. I've had gall bladder surgery and cried even though I knew many people were praying for me. I think it's natural to be afraid, because although most surgeries are routine now, there is still a chance (very slim, mind you!) that something could go wrong. If having your tubes tied is the best option for you, go ahead and schedule it. Take someone with you for support.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 10:19 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I feel the same way IHartU. I have avoided surgery so far (I am in my 60's) and hope to never have any surgery. Good luck.....
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 9:54 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Not scared of surgery. Dread the recovery, though.
    Micksbabe

Answer by Micksbabe at 10:00 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I've been under 3 times and honestly it was no big deal.  You go to sleep and you wake up when it's all over. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:34 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I've never had a surgery and one of my greatest fears is having to be put under...and then never waking up!
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:48 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I am afraid myself about being put under, then I end up crying, but the nurses and doctors are prepared for that and are wonderful at comforting our fears. I have had several over the last 3 1/2 years and I still get nervous, but I am still here.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 9:50 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• yep...surgery is my worst fear...im scared that after they put me under i will feel everything anyways or not wake up or have an allergic reaction...and i went to school to be a Surgical Tech so ive seen sugeries...and they happen CONSTANTLY without anything ever going wrong...just like flying...i used to be scared of flying even though i KNOW there are thousands of planes in the air at any given moment and they all take off and land safely 99.9999999 percent of the time....i would say go ahead and schedule the surgery but 2 days beforehand, start taking an anti-anxiety pill like Xanax and then the morning of the surgery, take 2 Xanax...just an example....i dont know if that particular drug is safe to take before surgery but talk to your doc and he can prob give you something to calm your nerves before the surgery... GL!!
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 9:54 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I have had a few in the last 15 years, I remember waking up crying I was so scared when I went under. but with every surgery the surgery team came to introduce themselves and I at least went out knowing I had a smile and a person to wake back up to, besides my great son of course. You will be fine, ask lots of questions, and make sure you are happy with the answers. If not ask some more. Good Luck!
    Softone

Answer by Softone at 9:58 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Not at all if it's beneficial to me to have them. Look into Essure if you don't want surgery to have your tubes tied.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 10:44 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Thank you atleast i know i am not alone,,,
    kileighsmommie

Comment by kileighsmommie (original poster) at 9:56 AM on Oct. 20, 2010