Era of Republican Mean Girls?

We are in the era of Republican Mean Girls, grown-up versions of those teenage tormentors who would steal your boyfriend, spray-paint your locker and, just for good measure, spread rumors that you were pregnant.

These women — Jan, Meg, Carly, Sharron, Linda, Michele, Queen Bee Sarah and sweet wannabe Christine — have co-opted and ratcheted up the disgust with the status quo that originally buoyed Barack Obama. Whether they’re mistreating the help or belittling the president’s manhood, making snide comments about a rival’s hair or ripping an opponent for spending money on a men’s fashion show, the Mean Girls have replaced Hope with Spite and Cool with Cold.

They are the ideal nihilistic cheerleaders for an angry electorate...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/17/opinion/17dowd.html?_r=1&ref=opinion

UpSheRises

Asked by UpSheRises at 9:39 AM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• UpSheRises

Comment by UpSheRises (original poster) at 9:41 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Give me a break LOL..dems have been doing this same thing for yearssssssss and this past presidential election I believe we saw it PRIME..day in and day damn out..

WHAAAAA WHAAAA ...do not like getting a taste of their own medicine?
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:42 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• IDK, it's all politics and every single one of them throws mud, including the men. Politics is a dirty business.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:42 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Nothing makes me sicker than an woman who bashes other women. If she just attacked their ideas, okay. But she went after personality, style, clothing and makeup. Women have enough trouble being taken seriously in the political world, without other women degrading them as highschoolers and picking on their looks. I'm embarrassed for this idiot.   

SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 9:45 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• That sounds about right. Maybe they should loosen up on some of that conservatism, and they won't be so uptight.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 9:46 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• why are the pretty girls always labeled as mean?? is someone jealous??
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:47 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• You can't deny that the Repubs in the news and the ones on this CM board do like to make personal attacks when people don't agree with them. I am sure Democrats and Independents do too. But there seems to be an extra meaness here. And avoiding concrete evidence because there is none.... so insults and distracting attacks work for them...they think.
    Waitng for the denials and bashes.....go for it. :-)
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 9:50 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• dullscissors....are they pretty?
    Well,I guess Palin and Christine Odonnell are pretty.....which leads us to believe that they have always gotten by using their looks and not their brains.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 9:53 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• We see here on cafemom. Not suprised. Women are mean. If someone is belittling someone else...well to me it shows how uneducated they really are.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:56 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I think they're riding on the popularity of shows like "Housewives of ________".  They see that this sort of snide bitchiness gets the ratings on cable, and try to insinuate that into their personal style. I think it's embarrassing for them, for their followers, and for women in general. They certainly don't do anything to improve the image that professional women have been working toward. Women have been pushed down and denied promotions or a place in politics in part because women in power have a reputation of being mean and catty. These women only prove that notion. I really don't know how anyone could take them seriously enough to vote for them with those sorts of attitudes. I suppose it has to do with loyalty to the party line, no matter how low it sinks.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:01 AM on Oct. 20, 2010