At what point do you bring your child to the doctor...my dd has had a really runny nose for a week now...

She also coughs but really only at night from post nasal drip....no fever...at what point would you say the congestion should be checked out?

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 9:55 AM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's not congestion if it's a runny nose. Her cough is from fluid running down her throat. Which means that it is moving and sounds like it is nothing more then allergies. Since she's had this for about a week you can call and get some recommondations, but it's not worth a visit to the doctor.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:30 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I need the same information. Thanks for asking.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:05 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I wouldn't ever bring my child in for a runny nose... ask yourself... what would they do for you? The only medication they might start is an antibiotic which would only be indicated if they drainage was thick and like oscar the grouch green and would be paired with fevers. (yellow-green is fine and not a problem)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:20 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• If my child doesnt improve in 7 to 10 days then I take him in. and most of the time it is a sinus infection. My son has had infections without fever.
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 10:26 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• 4 days ago. I only wait 72 hours.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 10:36 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I agree it isn't worth a visit to the doctor at all. It could just be allergies, especially with the seasons changing right now. You can call and get recommendations, but going in isn't needed.
    Mipsy

Answer by Mipsy at 10:44 AM on Oct. 20, 2010