when did you introduce a regular cup?

my 22 month old refuses to drink out of a cup. she will ask for a drink out of mine or daddy's cup but when i give her her own she won't even hold it. she wants her sippy or to drink from a straw. i remember my oldest started learning around this age. she's also terrified of sitting on the potty, so ive given that up for now. that was another thing i was already working on with my oldest at this age. she will sleep in a toddler bed and she will try to feed herself with a spoon, but the other two things she will not do. so when did you introduce a cup and how long did it take your child?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 10:15 AM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• All that matters is that she can drink out of a cup. Whether she does or not is beside the point. Since she'll do it from yours or daddy's cup, it's fine. Let her have her sippy or straw until she's ready. (It cuts down on messes, too. :) )
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:47 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Have you tried a straw cup? She might dig that.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:18 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Mine took to the sippy just fine, but, I don't really remember when I let him drink from a regular one. I do know I didn't bother really until he was like 3 or 4. But, at 2, I know he COULD drink from a regular one.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:16 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• i should add that she never held her own bottles, and didn't learn the sippy til 13 months. she's always either been a tad lazy or slightly behind.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 10:17 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Aw heck..I reread again. DUH.

I wouldn't worry about a regular cup now. If she is willing to drink from a sippy or a straw, let her.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:19 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• my son started on a sippy around 12 months old but was a full timer at 15 months old. as for a "real" cup, no top...not quite yet. He's 2 1/2 and gets a real cup maybe once a day with just water
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:20 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• It isn't right to compare what your youngest is doing to what your oldest did. They're two different children and shouldn't be held against one another for measure up. It's great that she drinks out of a straw. My suggestion would be to get those plastic straw cups from Walmart and give those to her instead of a sippy cup. She might not be lazy or behind, it could be that she's intimidated by change. I know that my son often wards off new things because he's intimidated. He likes routine, he likes his comfort zone, and when new things are introduced (even kids videos) he won't interact right away.

Just give her time. She will do these things in her own time and it's not fair to push them on her. She'll let you know when she's ready.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:21 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• 15 months.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 10:36 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• We've been working on it with my 19 month old. He goes to Montessori school 3 days a week and they have started introducing small. plastic cups to them. We have been trying it, but usually he will get a few drinks and most of what was in the cup ends up on his clothes and in the floor.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 10:44 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• My son is 22 months and CAN use a regular cup, but if I give him one I make sure I am right there next to him. Most of the time he still gets a sippy unless I have time to sit there with him and watch, but I try to let him practice often.

Answer by missanc at 11:32 AM on Oct. 20, 2010