Can baby's first word be at 5-6 months?

My daughter has been saying mama for a while, but I wasn't sure she knew what it meant. Yesterday my husband was playing with her and I was cooking dinner. I walked in the room, she stopped playing, looked up at me and said "mama" while reaching for me! Is that possible it was her first word?

CaseySD

Asked by CaseySD at 10:20 AM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes. My Uncle and Aunt told my mom I said Momma at 4 months and my mom didn't believe it, but, a few days later..I said Momma and Puppy. So, if I talked at 4 months, You child is talking at 5 or6. My son started at 7 months. He said a word a day after that, I swear.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:22 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• im sure it is possible. my 9 month old still isn't saying anything except "dadadada" but when i say "say mama, say mama" she looks at me with such intensity like she is really trying to figure out how to say mama!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:23 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• It is likely that it happened by accident. But the positive response that it received made it a sound she wanted to make. Since it was you that gave her this excited positive response she associates it with you and this is how she will learn that saying mama gets your excited loving attention. Now we need a dada.

Isn't it wonderful being a mama?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:26 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I talked at 7 months. 5-6 months is early but not unheard of.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 10:35 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• my son is 6 months, he clearly says dad. dad dad dadadadada. I'm jealous! (except at 2a.m. on the baby monitor! THEN it's allll him! lol) He also says okay. over and over. okay okay okay okay. :) it's cute. :)
    Tiffany8168

Answer by Tiffany8168 at 10:38 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• It isn't by accident...when I said puppy at 4 months, I had just seen a dog. LOL Your child saw you and said Momma. My son spoke deliberately at 7 months.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:32 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• My older son said his first words at 6 months.

In one week (at about 6 1/2 months) he said ball, bike, baba, baby, binky and mama. And he knew what all those words meant and used them correctly.

He was speaking in complete sentences by 12 months.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:06 PM on Oct. 20, 2010