frustrated at frienemies

At work there are a few frienemies that I get very frustrated at. At first they were nice, but then they change (seems when they get their own perception about another person).

At first they are nice, then they get snotty and clique-ee (spell). It's painful when I try to strike up a professional friendship when their eventual answer is, "What can you do for me?" and "Where are you on my priority list?". Well, few of these frienemies were only speaking to those in their priority list. Not that I was on their list, but I was eventually when I told someone about an opening and sent in a word (which the person was hired). Then these frienimies were my best friends (or at least tried to). My answer to them was, "Go Away!".

How do you deal with frienemies that change their M.O. (method of operation) based on gratuities, especially when their such good actors in the beginning?

Thanks

BlueSaphire

Asked by BlueSaphire at 10:26 AM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Relationships

• Your question sounds work based frenemies style. I usually ignored them unless they would complain to supervisors. But I know exactly the fakeness you are talking about. Wht is so ironic is that once you leave the work place, all that is non existant. People really don't dwell on work frenemies. I would tune them out of my life and just live life with the real world.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 10:34 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Frienemies are nothing more than viscious pirhanas looking out for number one. My advice would be to deal with these people on a professional level only and seek true friends. Life is too short to continue junior high thinking in adulthood. Good luck, hon.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 10:35 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I have a frienemy that I know through DD's school. She was such a great friend at first (or so I thought), then she dumped me for other friends and talked about me behind my back, then she dumped them and became friends with me again telling me how horrible they were for talking about me behind my back, then she dumped me for another girl and talked about me behind my back, then she dumped that other girl and tried to come back to me telling me how horrible this girl was for talking about me behind my back, but I kept my distance so she's back with the last girl she dumped. It's ridiculous. I feel like I'm dealing with a 9 year old! But, I have to keep up some sort of "friendship" with her, even if it is just on the surface, because our girls will be in school together for the next 13 years.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:42 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I don't have "frienemies". You're either my friend or my enemy. I suggest not talking to or hanging out with these people if you don't have to. Only talk to them about "work things" when necessary.
    HaydensMama07

Answer by HaydensMama07 at 11:38 AM on Oct. 20, 2010