What was/is your experience on the patch for birth control??

I just had a baby and trying to decide what to use for bc. I would use the pills but my sex drive usually always goes way down so I'm thinking about using the patch.

Anyone have experience with it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Health

• I would stick with a birth control that contains little or no estrogen. This type of birth control causes a huge decrease in libido and moodier mood swings.

I was on Ortho Evra when we decided to start trying. My only complaint was the red irritation on my skin from the adhesive.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 10:30 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• The patch made me have a very bad skin reaction
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:32 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I never had a problem with skin irritation, but I did however always questions myself whether or not I had stuck it in the right place and if it was working. I would strongly suggest an IUD. I love my Mirena. In fact this is my second one, I had it between my girls. I decided to take it out, and bataboom! We got pregnant. It has very few side effects, uses the least amount of hormones of any hormonal birth control out there and is good for 5 years! Oh, and you won't have a period while its in!
    -crunchy-mama-

Answer by -crunchy-mama- at 10:36 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I was on the pill for over 9 years with no issues, but decided to try it out for the convenience. Three months after going on the patch, I developed a blood clot in my lower left leg. I was tested for any genetic disorders, which were ruled out, so this was the likely cause. Ortho Evra has had some class action lawsuits brought against it in the past 6 years because there is a higher risk for side effects.

Please be wary of the risks and talk to your doctor.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:42 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I used the Ortho Evra patch after I had my son almost 8 years ago, It was ok but I could only place it 2 places that didnt make me sick or have headaches. Since you are supposed to alternate where you put it I could only put mine on my butt and alternate sides, if i put it on my shoulder,back, or arm it made me very sick to my stomach constantly....the dr said that It may have been because I am a very thin person and it was too much for me. I have also used nuva ring and now have Mirena....I love my Mirena and nuva ring wasnt bad either.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 10:42 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I was on the patch for total of 7 years and loved it. No problems. I went off of it and got pregant with my son within 2 months. I have the Mirena in right now and love it. I put the mirena in b/c I want something more long term and not have to think about it.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:53 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• There was a commercial a while back about it causing blood clots, heart attacks and some kinds of cancer.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:04 AM on Oct. 20, 2010