My 3 year old kicked me! What to do?

My 3 year old son kicked me yesterday evening! I am so upset over it as where is this behavior come from. I consider my discipline to be very consistent and I do spank my child as a last effort such as issues like this. I also took away his favorite toy and talked to him about kicking and hitting. I know many will say that you don't teach bad behavior w/ even more bad physical behavior but I was raised in a family where we didn't spare the rod. Can you please offer some advice?

PatricksMama07

Asked by PatricksMama07 at 11:01 AM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• This is not the time to retaliate with a spanking. Explain to him how bad you hurt and your feelings hurt because of this. Talk about what made him so upset that he did this. Talk about what ways he could have dealt with this. Lots of talking needs to be going on. Help him think about alternative actions to frustration and upset.

It is important that he sees you modeling ways to handle frustration, anger and hurt with actions other than hurting another person.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 11:04 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• what about time out? make him sit still in a corner somewhere and then talk to him about why he's in trouble.
    ksanders

Answer by ksanders at 11:04 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I use spanking as a last resort. I did put him in time out and also took away his favorite toy. I guess consistency is the key but I am wondering how many times do I have to continue to put him in time out when he acts out by hitting me? I am raising a boy into a man and I do not want an overgrown bully in my house when he is 16 thinking he can still hit me!!!
    PatricksMama07

Comment by PatricksMama07 (original poster) at 12:12 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I use physical discipline with my kids...I don't think physically disciplining your kids makes them more inclined to be violent and lash out and all that other nonsense...
    I don't have boys (but I do have a nephew) so I can't exactly understand where you're coming from...but if it was me and my son, I'd have spanked him, then put him in time out. Because hitting mommy is not acceptable and a huge no-no, and yeah, you will get severely punished for that.
    My oldest daughter hit me ONE TIME when she was 2 1/2...she's 4 now and I haven't had another 'incident' since.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 2:23 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Spanking & time out? that is punishing twice. I can NOT understand spanking your kids and saying "no hitting/kicking" but maybe that is me. It makes NO sense. And to answer how many times do you put him in time out for hitting? Every single time until he gets it.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 5:13 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I agree with Peaches.
    Your son needs to understand that it WILL NOT HAPPEN. And if it does, there are serious consequences.
    My daughter is 17 months old. And she has started hitting from time to time, when she is tired. I give her a warning, then its time out, then its a swat on the diaper and time out, then its bed time. PERIOD.
    And if we are out somewhere, its 3 strikes you are out. We leave and come home.
    I think its important for them to know it will not be tolerated. And that mommy is in control, not them.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 6:49 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• so true mme. langley i let my son know that too... we do mess around at home and i know how far we can take it but he is not allowed to hit other or behave badly in public that is for sure so if he does act up or even try to run off as he likes to do he will get spanked cause that's no joke to me and not funny... a child should have bounderies and now that there parents are not there friend first.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 7:26 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I as a parent was raised with parents and grandparents who spanked me, my brother and my cousins. Today all of us are glad we received these spankings and looking back I believe I deserved them. I can only recall one time my grandmother spanked me and it was because she caught me stealing at 5 years old from a grocery store. I stole some lip gloss for little girls. She spanked me and I never ever stole again and I remember her punishment too. I know parents who didn't spank their kids in my very large family and compared to those who had parents who were strict, spank their kids etc those that were spanked are the most respectful, most accomplished and put together. This is just my honest opinion. To each his own....
    PatricksMama07

Comment by PatricksMama07 (original poster) at 3:22 PM on Oct. 21, 2010