Would you allow your 6 yr old to have a credit card?

I'm talking about a FULL BLOWN credit card. Their name is on the account, their card and everything.

A lady at the store yesterday had her son pay for his lunchable with HIS credit card and then went on to brag about how she is helping his credit.

Personally I thought it to be phsyco. I get the point and what she is doign to "help" him, but why not get him a pre-paid card and allow him to load his allowance on it or something?

I just thought it was a bit crazy.

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 11:22 AM on Oct. 20, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• 6 year olds barely even understand the concept of money at all. They certainly don't understand how long you have to work to earn money or the value of a $1. To give him a credit card and let him buy whatever his little heart desires, at 6 none the less, is insane. He will grow up thinking that he can have anything with the swipe of a piece of plastic.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 12:21 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I agree she nuts ! I just hope SHE isn't misusing her sons credit herself.
    Marinemom03

Answer by Marinemom03 at 11:24 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Nooooo.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 11:23 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• My face is scrunched up really ugly right now just reading this...
    No. Nope. No thanks, my 6 yr old doesn't need a CC just yet. That's a bit nuts.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:23 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• That is totally nuts. She is helping him to learn that you can buy stuff by swiping a card, and he will be in debt by age 15. Geesh...
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 11:24 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• BS.

She isn't helping his credit....a 6 year old has no credit history and would never be approved for his own card
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:34 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Why would they even need a pre-paid card at 6? Parents are getting crazy these days!
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 11:23 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• rolling on floorN O

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:26 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• How did she get a cc for her son at the age of 6? I don't think so.
    Faye1234

Answer by Faye1234 at 11:35 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Why does a 6 year old need to build his credit? So he can buy a house when he turns 10?? Geez. I'd have to say no, I wouldn't let my child TOUCH a credit card at 6, whether their name is on it or not. Maybe it was an ATM card attached to his savings account? Some places accept them even if they're not Visa or MC.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:35 AM on Oct. 20, 2010