When did your breast milk come in?

Im 35 weeks and still havent had any colostrum leaking at all. Im worried that I may not be able to to breast feed my son. My ob said I maybe one of those individuals that have to wait till the placenta is delivered to develope milk.

SunshineSandie

Asked by SunshineSandie at 11:22 AM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I did not leak at all prior to delivery and I breastfed like a champ so not to worry! My colostrum came in right away and my actual milk came in when DD was four days old. I exclusively breast fed for over six months. Just put that baby to the breast as soon as he or she is born and keep doing it every two hours after that and you will most likely be fine. Very few women actually can not breast feed so chances are you have nothing to worry about.

For some unsolicited advice, I found having Lanolin cream at the hospital for my nipples to be a godsend, and when my milk came in it did make my chest sore so I took a hot, wet towel wrapped around a heating pad and placed it over my chest and took a nice nap and all was well after that. And plan to have that child at the boob almost constantly, I wasn't prepared for that part but it was totally worth it and got us off to a great start with the nursing. Good luck to you!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:47 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• All women have to wait until after the placenta detatches to make milk. Colostrum and milk are not the same thing. Colostrum is actually more like blood than like milk. Don't worry, you DO have colostrum. A lot of women don't leak. You WILL have your milk come in, but it takes 2-5 days after the placenta detatches for it to happen. THe placenta detatching is the body's signal to start milk production. Sounds like your OB needs some breastfeeding education. Don't rely on his advice if breastfeeding doesn't come easy to you, he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Your baby will have everything he needs from your colostrum until your breastmilk comes in. Just put baby to the breast often (at least every 2 hours or when baby demands, whichever is sooner). Supplimenting can cause huge problems, so don't give formula at all. Avoid pacifiers as well. CONT
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:27 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• The day I had my kids. The colostrum came followed by milk.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:26 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Here is a good video about how to latch a baby on so that you will minimize soreness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zln0LTkejIs

Hope this helps! You can do this! I also recommend getting involved in La Leche League (you can find a meeting near you at www.llli.org), and taking a breastfeeding class if you can find one.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:28 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Not all women leak- Your OB is sadly misinformed (as are the majority of medical professionals). You DO have colostrum, even if you aren't leaking.
    Your milk supply will come in anywhere from 2-5 (sometimes 6-7) days after the birth. Until then, your baby eats colostrum, which is the PERFECT first food- It is more concentrated than milk is, and it is ALL that your baby needs.
    You should avoid all supplements, and pacifiers, artificial nipples, etc. Just put the baby to the breast as often as they are hungry (which can be every couple of hours, or every 1/2 an hour). The best way to ensure a good supply is to nurse often, like every time they make a sound, for the first few weeks.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:33 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Leakage during pregnancy varies from woman to woman and pregnancy to pregnancy. Any amount of leakage during pregnancy, from none to excessive, is completely normal and has no bearing on how breastfeeding will go. Regardless of whether you leak during pregnancy, colostrum production will be triggered by birthing hormones, so once your baby is born, you will have colostrum until your milk comes in.

With my first pregnancy, I leaked excessively from the middle of the second trimester. With my second, I didn't leak at all during pregnancy, or after birth, and she was exclusively breastfed until 7.5 months with no problems, and is still nursing now at 18 months.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:30 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Leaking or not leaking prior to delivery is not an indication of how much milk you'll ultimately have. When the placenta falls off of the uterine wall, there is a major hormone shift that stimulates your breasts to make colostrum.
    I never leaked, but I was able to express some while I was pregnant. I never had supply issues, even after a c-section. My "milk" came in on day 3, around 5:30PM. (Yes, you can actually nail it down to a time!)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:30 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• your fine!!! i didnt leak any but when i pushed that sucka out and he attached it was like human nature. its amazing ur body is going to produce jus what you baby needs when he needs it. just look at what u have accomplished so far without even trying..... im proud of u your gonna do great! congrats mommy!!!!!
    ryanne88

Answer by ryanne88 at 11:31 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• You could try massaging your breasts. Start at the base and move towards the nipple using a gentle squeezing motion. You might be surprised when a little colostrum comes out. Not eveyone leaks noticeably.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 11:27 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Not all women leak colostrum when pregnant. It does not mean you will not be able to breastfeed. You could start any day or won't till labor and/or birth. Milk comes in anywhere from 3 to 7 days after you start breastfeeding.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 11:33 AM on Oct. 20, 2010