At what age is it appropriate to give a child a cell phone?

Shanna84

Asked by Shanna84 at 11:31 AM on Oct. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• As it is different for every family, I can only say at whatever age you deem appropriate.

At this point, DD is 4 years old and does not need one. Once she starts staying at friend's houses and/or staying after school for activities and/or participating in things that either myself or DH won't be there....that's when she'll get one. BUT, it'll be one of those that has very limited capabilities and can only call like 3 people.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:35 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• My oldest got one when he went into 7th grade. He started going to a charter school in a different town and had lots of after school activites, so I felt it was okay to get him one. My middle child got one this year in 6th grade. My DD got very sick this summer and was in the hospital for 2 months. Since I was with her at the hospital and my DH had to go back to work, my DH felt he needed one.

I think the right time is whatever is right for you and your family.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 11:35 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• My son had a cheap prepaid one at like 10. He was doing things without me and I wanted him to have access to me anytime he needed it and not when he could bum one. In case of any emergency.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:38 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I think it really depends on the family, and their needs. A kid can be given a cell phone that only their family can call or have phone calls accepted from for safety's sake before they get a full blown phone with texting and so forth. My son is only 2 now, so it will be awhile, but I guess we'll see when we get there. By then, I'm sure 5 year olds will regularly have cell phones, at this rate!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:38 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Our kids will get around 5, when they start school... I wouldn't want to see any child left without if they were in an emergency.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:17 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• im tryin to get my 2 year old a cell phone where he can only call me cause me and his dad have joint custody and he refuses to let me talk to him when hes w/ him.. its my way of fixing the issue
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 12:31 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• While im not letting my kids get them until they are old enough to work and pay thier own bill those prepaids are good but they also have a phone called a kajeet that lets parents be in control with features like putting an automatic block on it during certain hours (like school or bed time) and others like alooting them extra minutes etc.. for doing good in school or something.
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 12:56 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• at age 6, my sn got a firefly emergency phone! We are military, and have MANY reasons why all 5 of our kids will have one by 6! JMHO
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 2:24 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• my 4 yr old has a firefly, when shes at her dads house, he dont have a phone and i cant make it the whole weekend not talking to her
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 12:39 AM on Oct. 21, 2010