Ugh!! FLEAS!!

I hate to admit this, but we have fleas...thanks to a 4 year old who kept bringing in an outside stray cat. As soon as we realized our indoor cats had them, we bought Frontline through our vet and have been giving monthly for 5 months now...even to the outside stray cat. Yet they STILL have them!

I know we should spray or bomb the house, but I do NOT want to do that. I do not understand how they are still all over our pets when Frontline is supposed to kill them on the cats and keep them away from the cats for 30 days...?

Is there anything else you can recommend (other than spray or bomb, that is)?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 11:33 AM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Pets

• treating the cat wont rid of them unfortunately. they multiply in your house and feed on you guys too! My cat got them bad, but only because fleas love the south and they simply jumped on our pants or shoes for a free ride to the house. when the infestation was terrible I treated my cat with advantage and vacuumed almost every day including in and under the furniture and any room my cat was in. I filled my vacuum with borax which suffocates fleas and emptied it after every room. Took many weeks but it worked! havent seen a flear in a long time and my cat hasnt been scratching. I also dont want to bomb the house.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:37 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Yes, this is what my groomer told me. Get the animal out of the home. Totally sweep your hard floors. Empty into trash and take trash outside (AWAY) from the home. Then sprinkle or spray something for fleas. (I recommend Adams). Then follow that by vacuuming everything in your home. Take vacuum outside (AWAY) from home. Empty it (FAR AWAY as they can jump back in). Place a flea collar inside your vacuum and take back into the house. Then thoroughly clean the animal before bringing it back into the home. Follow the spraying and vacuuming thing every couple of days.

That worked for me. Then, I got wise and started buying my dog the monthly Comfortis pill. No more fleas.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:36 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• YOu might try Advantage. I Have used all of the flea products since I get them for free and I think that Advantage works the best for fleas.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 12:45 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I've heard of fleas becomming immune to certain poisons. Try switching to a different brand to see if that helps. I agree with the others about vacuuming your house like crazy and using borax. Wash everything that can be washing that the pets have come in contact with. You might also want to treat the yard.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 2:44 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Also, do not bathe them within 24 hours before or after applying the treatment.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 2:45 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Wash everything in Borax..even the carpet and you guys and your cat. I used it on my dog and watched the fleas jump off and die! It's mild and safe for even a bath on people and non-toxic and cheap! Really does work!!
    Amygirl16

Answer by Amygirl16 at 5:04 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Get some borax, sprinkle liberally in the house and on furniture. Sweep and vacuum furniture. Get it in the aisle with house hold cleansers.
    meandmyshadow

Answer by meandmyshadow at 11:13 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• with Fleas, you need to treat for a whole year to get rid of them completely. Frontline ON your pets, for a year. also, for your first 6-8wks of treatment, vacuum your ENTIRE house, twice a day, I know it sounds crazy, but Fleas have a life cycle that consists of 4 stages. Eggs, Larvae, Pupa and Adults. Adult fleas are only 5% of the entire equation...so you NEED to treat for ALL stages...and the Pupa stage, you CAN NOT kill...and they can harbor in that stage for ELEVEN MONTHS. hence why you need to vacuum often and treat for an ENTIRE YEAR. Vacuuming can help suck up Pupa, Eggs and Larvae, but you can't KILL pupa.
    I'm a Vet Tech, I know Fleas! lol :)
    -mrs.mamma-

Answer by -mrs.mamma- at 4:55 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• My house was infested and I was up to here with it too. I got my dogs Comfortis and within 3 days, nothing. I just revacuumed a day after they had taken it. They fleas were gone! No bombing, no more spraying, and they haven't been back all year. Go to your vet and get Comfortis!
    Anna-Chubaby

Answer by Anna-Chubaby at 6:16 PM on Oct. 21, 2010