Should the president be campaigning for his party?

This isn't just about the current administration. All presidents do this. We pay his salary with our tax dollars so in a sense we are supporting the Democratic party's campaign. (in this instance). Should he not focus on the job he's being paid to do and not on campaigning? This came up on my local radio show and I found it interesting.

sopranomommy

Asked by sopranomommy at 11:34 AM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• And while it has always been done in the past... I have never been a fan of the use-abuse of a president/celeb/etc style of campaigning...   That takes the importance away from the issues and makes it a game of "who they know"...  Not what I take to the voting booth, but nonetheless it is done...Once one is elected President, I think it would show true dedication to the nation, if they relaxed on the partisan banter/campaigning.. If they did that, IMO~ it would show more so that they are in it for the nation, not their party/to play politics. Across the board...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:58 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• What is even more pathetic.... When the President can't get the job done on the campaign trail and has to bring his wife (who IS NOT a politician or involved in policy/issues) to come in and campaign because her ratings are HIGHER... That shows true desperation....

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:51 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I feel that way about every politician, not just the president.

The more time they spend on the campaign trail, the less time they are spending representing the people they were elected to serve.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 11:37 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I agree, this has always annoyed me too. The Presidents job is to be campaigning for us, not his party. And all of them do it. Ugh. Another reason to hate politics.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 11:44 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• He's the head of the party, he's the place the rest of the party turns for their direction. Of course he's going to campaign.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 11:35 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I don't think the President needs to go jet setting for months before an election. He should be doing HIS job and the people wanting to get elected should be doing that themselves. They don't seem to have a hard time finding people to go out an campaign for them.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:39 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• They all think their party has the better nswers...

I think there should be a LIMIT for all politicians

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:39 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Kerp, this isn't only an Obama issue, it is across the board issue. I votedfor Obama, and this campaigning bs pisses me off too. Just because they all do it doesn't make it right.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 3:50 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Hey, Kerp, if you just joined five days ago, how do you know that we've talked about this before, and wouldn't you use the term "you" and not "we", being a new member? Are you an old hat with a new face?

____________
    The party should pick up all cost involved, transportation, etc, or it seems like the taxpayers are footing the bill for campaigning, and yes, it's wrong, regardless of the party.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:09 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I think the President..whatever his/her party should stick to their JOB and leave the campaigning to the candidates.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 5:14 PM on Oct. 20, 2010