Am I the only one wondering about this?

Why is it so important to be able to be "openly" gay in the millitary? How does it affect your millitary career? I just don't get it. I don't think they should be able to kick you out if they discovered that you were gay but do they really need to tell everybody around them their sexual orientation? Are there really that many gay people out there that just can't stand everybody knowing that they are gay? I have never felt the need to make an anoucement that I am straight. (And I have had women flirt with me) I didn't let it bother me and it wasn't like I had to act on it.

treynlisa

Asked by treynlisa at 11:37 AM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• You shouldn't have to keep it a secret. If you feel comfortable sharing information about your personal life with a friend/ co-worker, you should be able to do so without the fear of losing your job.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 11:39 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• They do not shout it from the roof tops but they can't even acknowledge a partner, or speak on the phone to their partners or attend social gatherings, why should they be treated like second class citizens when they are there to protect the US like the rest?

Answer by older at 11:40 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I don't think you really understand what means to keep something like this a secret. It's NOT about being able to run around screaming "I'm gay, I'm gay" at all. Imagine this. You're married/engaged/have a steady girlfriend (you're a straight male soldier). When you talk to your buddies, you're bound to bring her up, right? Maybe have a picture of her in your wallet? Maybe pictures of your kids? Now imagine you're a gay soldier who's been in a committed relationship for a long time. When you talk to your friends, you really can't share any personal stories, because it would probably involve your partner in some way. You can't carry a picture with you, or have one next to your bed, because people may report you and you'll get fired. If you have kids together, you really can't mention those either, because well... they might find out who the "other parent" is. See where I'm going with this? It has nothing to do with sex, really.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 11:40 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I totally agree with that. As I said I don't think you should be kicked if you were maybe seen out with your partner or something. But do you have to make it known to everybody that you are gay?
    treynlisa

Comment by treynlisa (original poster) at 11:41 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• You need to inform yourself what DADT involves.....

Answer by older at 11:41 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Why is it so important to be able to be "openly" gay in the millitary? How does it affect your millitary career?

Ask the people that were FIRED and lost EVERYTHING

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:45 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

•  I have never felt the need to make an anoucement that I am straight.

Never spoke of your family at work? showed a pic? gave a Christmas card with their pics on it?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:46 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• op, I guess YOU are the only one!

Answer by older at 11:49 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Fundamental misunderstanding not only of homosexuality but of the DADT policy.

This isn't about the 'right' to wear guyliner to PT. This is about being able to acknowledge that you have a life outside of the military. It's about being able to say 'Me and (boy/girlfriend) saw a great movie on Showtime last night'. It's about being able to call home and say 'I love you' while you are deployed.

It's about being treated equally, being respected, and allowed the same basic dignity as every other soldier.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 11:51 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Well said Jenny, and by the way I love your screen name! lol!

Answer by older at 11:54 AM on Oct. 20, 2010