At what age should you take a girl to a gynocologist?

Before her first period? After?

SweetLuci

Asked by SweetLuci at 11:45 AM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I believe the current recommendation is when they become sexually active or by 18, whichever is sooner, and also for any problems (menstural problems, no menses by 17, etc).

One tip, make sure to talk to your daughter about her first gyn exam. No one ever told me what to expect and it was horrible and awkward and embarrassing and traumatizing. Make sure to walk her through what will happen and sit with her if she wants you there. It's so important that she know what is going to happen and what to expect.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:48 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• When she starts having sex. They don't need to go to a gyno before that.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:47 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• When she starts having sex or 18.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 11:48 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• http://kidshealth.org/parent/growth/medical/first_gyn.html

this site says 13-15...but i still think that is young. Maybe it's just that times are different. No one went to the gyno at 13 when i was growing up.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:49 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• they rarely do a pelvic exam the first time. And usually ONLY do it when they start to have sex.
    samurai_chica

• I'm with these guys. Around the age she may start having sex. I went at 15, because I have endometriosis, and they put me on the pill to slow the bleeding.
    I totally agree with Ati about discussing with her first what to expect. It's a scary experience the first time, and you don't know what to expect, and no one has ever been in that area before.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:58 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• i say 18 or when they have sex.
    I have a 15 yr old and she would DIE to go to the gyno now.
    Heck she wont even go to her dr anymore (male) I had to switch to a femal dr.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 12:04 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Most doctors will tell you between 13-15 for her first pelvic exam. However, if she isn't having sex or experiencing infections or issues there is no need for her to start going til she's closer to 17 or 18.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:09 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• at puberty its best to keep a girls system safe at earliest age possible w/ it so asy to get uti and yeast infections imagine your daughter going through that pain and not kno what to do and b ashamed to turn to u
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 12:24 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• My mom asked for me when I was younger and they said either at 18 or when I started having sex.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 1:19 PM on Oct. 20, 2010