Do you know how HUGE human trafficing is? adult content

People remain to be the second largest illegal import WORLD WIDE, and unfortunately the first largest (out numbering drugs and weapons) in the US...

A new study from Europe gives an idea of how big the issue is: "Extrapolating from International Labor Organization data, UNODC estimates that one in seven sex workers in Europe are trafficking victims. These victims are exploited for, on average, two years. This means that 70,000 women must be trafficked annually to meet market demands. "

In addition to those used for sex work are those children brought in as personal assistance, maids, child care takers and even personal sex slaves...

Have you ever considered what a huge issue this really is? If so, have you ever done your part to change things? Do you think it can be changed?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:48 AM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't know what i could do that would change things.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 11:50 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• found out recently it happens in my town. A bit of a surprise considering a a small bible belt town. but yes it can happen anywhere
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:51 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I wonder how they get these stats. How do they measure what is a bigger illegal import? Weight? Because that would skew things lol.

In all seriousness, this is a huge, disgusting problem. We all need to be careful and understand the risks.

I had a nightmare while I was pregnant about being abducted and sold into a foreign man's harem. It was awful. One of the worst nightmares I've ever had and it happens to thousands of women everywhere.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:51 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• It is absolutely terrifying and overwhelming to contemplate. I hope it can be changed.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 11:53 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• It is such a horrible thing. No, OP, I knew it was a very big problem, but I had no idea just how bad it had really become. Thank you for sharing this very important story, which everyone should read.
    jaycietaylorgma

Answer by jaycietaylorgma at 11:57 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I became involved with 2 different Anti-Trafficking and Anti-Sex Slave groups a few years ago. I've thankfully seen a few stories which really do make me believe we CAN change things. I've seen these men (yes men too), women and children rescued and go on to lead "normal" lives...

Just for the record the measurement goes by income... This study found that those brought in for sex working through Europe (again, not those brought in for other reasons) net an average income of nearly $3 BILLION annually for those groups with "own" them.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 11:58 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• We had a guest speaker at my MOPS group on this subject, so yes I do know. It is very very sad.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:59 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• In Asia, there are families that will sell off their girl children - they need boys to run their farms, girls are a burden to them. In Russia and some other old Soviet-Bloc countries, the women go because it offers them a chance at a better life after they pay off their debt. A large part of the trafficking problem is that some cultures understand it as part of the norm. My understanding is that kidnapping is actually a small percentage of the human trafficking trade, families selling their children or "willing" participants are more common.

I don't think this will ever stop as long as there are people willing to pay, as sick as that is.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:59 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Scuba, it's sad but true... The vast majority of the children being trafficked are being sold by their own parents or families. In fact the woman who runs one of the Charities I work with is a sex slave survivor from Cambodia, where it's not only common practice to sell your child, but it's generally expected that single mothers will do so... And there are a great many who become involved in this practice "willingly" however, they are generally not willing to become sex workers, usually they are tricked in to brothel work in order to pay off debts or to protect their families. In WAY to many areas such as Cambodia, Russia and other "less developed" countries the local government is usually involved, and should these people escape, the police will simply return them...

All that said - We may not be able to save them all, but I can tell you, saving ONE, is worth everything in the world!

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 12:07 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• It's repulsive, but it's never going to end as long as sick freaks keep giving the slavers business.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 12:08 PM on Oct. 20, 2010