Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Sister-In-Law Problems

She has been there living in my house for a year was suppose to be 3 months but she has become comfortable and has not left, my brother her husband has been incarcerated and now in half way house and for him I allowed her to move in..........(DUMB) to make things short and sweet, she is a liar, theif and is now causing problems at my work and with my family. I have asked her to leave and she has, but here is my problem she comes and goes as she pleases to get her belongings she has left. Since she has taken some of my stuff I do not want her there when I am not so I am having to change my schedule to be there. I know she will take what she wants and leave trash she dont want and it's alot. My question is does anyone know if I can tell her she can not come back since she has moved out and I will get a trailer and take all her belongings including trash to where she is staying now and drop it off?


Asked by buttonlts at 11:58 AM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Relationships

Level 21 (11,115 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (17)
  • Give her a 2 week notice. Change the locks on the doors. If she has left some of her things still you leave them on your front driveway, let her know that they will be here between this day and time to this day and time. If she doesnt get them, then its no longer your problem. I know it sound harsh but I had to do the same thing with my SIL (my husbands sister) I had to get the police involved and this was the legal way to do it. Good luck! BTW we are friend now that she out of the house.

    Answer by kiansmom0423 at 12:08 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

  • Legally, it depends on the area you live in. If she has paid rent, you may have to give her a certain time frame to collect her belongings. If I were you, I'd pack up all of her things, and tell her when she can come get them. Change the locks immediately so she can't come and go as she pleases.

    Answer by Scuba at 12:01 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

  • Of course you can. And change the locks.

    Answer by Candi1024 at 12:00 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

  • Yeah, tell her she is not welcome and then CHANGE. THE. LOCKS.

    Answer by Shanna84 at 12:00 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

  • Change the locks and get a restraining order

    Answer by lovinangels at 12:00 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

  • Just saw your last response - honestly, who cares if she lies? It's her word against yours.

    Answer by Scuba at 12:02 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

  • Change those locks and bring her stuff to wherever she is living. Tell her if she wants to start crap you'll get a restraining order and press charges on her for the theft of your stuff. What a moochy 'b'!

    Answer by Nanixh at 12:05 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

  • well she is the kind of person that will lie and say I would not give her her stuff..............I do not want this to get any uglier than it might see me on the news

    Comment by buttonlts (original poster) at 12:01 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

  • you all she is physco.........and if I dont take the stuff I will be stuck with the junk and its all I can do to keep the peace when she is around, we are in Mississippi and the laws here are CRAZY

    Comment by buttonlts (original poster) at 12:04 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

  • I saw this on Judge Judy. Call her tell her to get her things and then change the locks otherwise they will give the so called sil thief even more to mooch off ......

    Answer by mamacita69930 at 12:08 PM on Oct. 20, 2010