I am 39 weeks pregnant and I want to have this baby already! How can I put myself into labor?

EJsmom322

Asked by EJsmom322 at 12:08 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Seriously? wait another week or so and he/she should start coming out on their own. Doing things to "put yourself into labor" can hurt the baby. Just let things progress naturally.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 12:10 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I have been there 3 times and as much as the last Mommies ideas sound awful I have to agree with her. Maybe your little ones needs a little more time in there. The end can be so miserable. I went a week and a half late with my first and 4 days late with my third but I would have obviously regretted it greatly if they had come earlier just because I was ready to be done and they were not ready.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:16 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Your body is either ready or it's not however semen helps soften the cervix, and a massage therapist can work on the pressure points on your body to help get you going if u are truly ready, and have u had your membranes stripped that works well
    strawberryLVR

Answer by strawberryLVR at 12:17 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I am 38 weeks and 3 days and I feel for you! Take long walks, to where its comfortable. You do not want to exhaust yourself and then go into labor. Sex, with him letting lose inside if you get my meaning and a big O wouldn't hurt either. Also someone told me pineapples at this point would work. I do not see the science in it but it wouldn't hurt and they taste great. My sister took a TBS of castor oil and started signs of labor within 4 hrs. I guess this way is a big NO NO and i myself have no desire to take such a disgusting drastic length but I am sharing what I have heard. Good luck, and look at is this way....you will not be pregnant for too much longer anyway! That is what I keep telling myself!!
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 12:18 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I'm sorry, but posts like this drive me crazy. lol I am doing everything I can at 34w4d to keep myself pregnant and all kinds of women are trying to find ways to get baby out early. Baby will come when they are ready, I know you are uncomfortable, but you can't be pregnant forever.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 12:29 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I'm sorry my question was "How do I put myself into labor?" not "Should I put myself into labor?" Seriously at 39 weeks the baby is fine people. and I'm only 5 days away from beinf 40 weeks so I doubt I will be doing anything bad for the baby. My first son was born at 37 weeks and he is a very smart, healthy boy. I realize I won't be pregnant forever, thanks to the moms who responded to the actual question and didn't give personal opinions!! =)
    EJsmom322

Comment by EJsmom322 (original poster) at 12:49 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• ask your dr to scrape your mucus plug or see if your dr will induce you trust me i tried a few things and none worked falls labor is all that happened.
    nikkole42

Answer by nikkole42 at 12:52 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• OK since you don't want my opinion this is what I will say.

The doctor is unlikely to strip membranes before you are late. They go off the fact that your LMP is not the most reliable predictor since we all ovulate at different times and things like u/s dating can be off by 10 days or more.

Castor oil is more likely to make you vomit and poo then go into labor. OR it will make you vomit and poo while in labor and I think that would be miserable. It's also quite dangerous if you don't take the proper amount and it can throw you into labor so quickly that you deliver in a parking lot. Yep I know someone who did.

Sex will work only if your body/baby are ready, but it's fun so why not.
    Eating FRESH pineapple will work if your body/baby is ready.
    Walking can help the baby descend which can help your cervix progress.

So basically there's not much you can do that will 100% work immediately and be 100% safe before 40wks most times.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 1:03 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Thanks kfroz0415, that info is useful. Wow that's scary about the castor oil. I'd heard it can put you into labor but no one mensioned the poo and vomitting. Definately won't be trying that. As for sex and walking I've been doing that and nothing so it looks like I just have to wait for this baby to come when it's ready.
    EJsmom322

Comment by EJsmom322 (original poster) at 1:27 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• A womans gestation period is anywhere from 38 to 42 weeks so the baby could be ready to go at 38 weeks. I will agree saying none of the "tricks" will work until baby is ready but they can help if baby is ready. Walking is good but know it can send you into false labor as well. Fresh pineapple is known to work, as well as sex. The reason Caster oil works is because it induces vomiting and diarreah which then induces labor... however if it doesn't induce labor then your just really sick and really pregnant. Not something I was willing to do. I am 41 weeks now and I nothing has worked for me. I am guessing my baby is just too comfy lol. Good luck and don't worry about what anyone says. You are the mommy here! :)
    ErinT

Answer by ErinT at 1:33 PM on Oct. 20, 2010