Forceps left this boy brain damaged...

...after reading this article, I am left to question how a woman could consent to forceps being used at all. Regardless of whether or not you consent to a procedure on paper, you still have the right to say "NO".

Would you consent to a procedure that is known to commonly cause brain damage?

Link below

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 12:12 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• There was a baby that DIED in my area due to vacuum use. SO SAD and unnecessary!
    squish

Answer by squish at 1:58 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Ok, they explained to me while delivering my first before they used the vacuum that they control when it suctions, and only suctions when you are pushing with the guidence of the doctor of course. If it werent for that vacuum I probably wuld have wound up in a c-section, and i am thankful I didn't.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 12:27 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1321674/Forceps-left-boy-brain-damaged-His-case-far-unique-So-ARE-used.html

ObbyDobbie

Comment by ObbyDobbie (original poster) at 12:13 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:14 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Thank you- CM froze on me, and wouldn't allow me to make a hyperlink... WTF? That is the 3rd time its happened this week.
    ObbyDobbie

Comment by ObbyDobbie (original poster) at 12:16 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Damn. They should have changed her position or something, not yanked so hard she was coming off the table and that poor baby getting all the injuries. Wow.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:17 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I had to have the vaccum used on my oldest, sometimes you just HAVE to...both of my babys like to come out face up (wich is not how babies are supposed to be born) it makes pushing REALLY hard, and even harder to get them under the pelvic bone because its hitting their face, not the back of their head...so i would use whatever assistance I could get if my baby was in other trouble because of the babys positioning.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 12:20 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Uh, dear, they are not supposed to yank so hard they crack the baby skull and pull his eye out of socket. And even with a vacuum, they can suck the skin off their heads.

In those cases, a different position or a c-section is safer than ripping the baby out of the vagina with metal tongs.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:23 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• But what happend to that adorbale little boy and his mom is not cool at all. I really feel for that family and hope that they can some day find peace in what happend.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 12:28 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Omg I'm almost in tears =( How horrible. I'd opt for a c-section rather than deal with that. That poor mother.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:34 PM on Oct. 20, 2010