Yard sale or craigslist?

I'm thinking about having a yard sale this weekend as I have tons of baby and toddler clothes. Like 5 trashbags full. But then again I am kinda lazy and don't really know how to price and all that junk. Have you ever sold kids clothes on craigslist? Do you just list it as one big bunch? Or like split it in size groups? I'm new to selling clothes on there lol so forgive me for asking stupid questions! Which would be better?

MissAlisabeth

Asked by MissAlisabeth at 12:15 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Money & Work

• I think pricing clothes at a $1.00 is good. Better price than the thrifts stores.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 12:18 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Yeah pricing them low is good, but craigslist scares me, lots of wackos out there!

Answer by older at 12:21 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I'd rather do CL, but that's just me. If you can, spread your clothes into a few ads, and then meet them at Starbucks or somewhere else public. $1 an item is generally about right, more for nicer items, less for socks, tank tops, or whatever.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:29 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Ive sold a lot of baby/toddler clothes and toys plus other items on craigslist. I always take SO with me when I go to meet the people and make sure I know the kind of car they drive, thier phone number etc. I also always call and tell my dad where I am going to meet the people what the people's names are and what kind of car they drive. Just to make myself feel safer...lol
    Anyway. I always put it on there 2 ways if it is clothes. One bunch price for every item together and then seperate prices for each individual size, season. or whatever. And always make it a little more if they buy less, to make them be more likely to buy it all, because as much as I need the money to get new items I am usually in more desprate need of the space it is taking up. And sometimes, price a little higher than what you actually want so that they feel like they are talking you down and getting a better deal.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 12:29 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I would try craig's list first, clothes don't sell well at yard sales here.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:35 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Try to do yard sales when people would normal get paid.; at the end of the month of mid-month. Make sure signs of garage sale are put up before 7:00am  and lead driver with arrows towards your home. Balloons help as well and make sure you have change on hand because a lot people have $20 dollars bills. 

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 12:38 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• As far as clothing goes, I think Garage Sales are better. I want to see before I buy. However, to save yourself time and effort, just have a table with a price list above it. Like Jeans 1.00, Shoes 1.00, all other .50.. or something like that. That's how I did it.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:43 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I would try Craigslist first. I dont think i've ever seen someone buy clothes from a yard sale. I agree with pricing the clothes low, or if you want separate them into certain categories and said like "$5 gets the whole box/bag/whatever" and have it with stuff, and make sure its a good deal like not a ton of stuff. Remember this is second hand stuff and people want to feel like they're getting a deal.
    Jezzeria

Answer by Jezzeria at 1:36 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Well in cooler states garage sale season is pretty much over so craigslist or ebay are your best bets if in those areas. Typicaly you can get a little more because yard sale prices where I live are maybe 25 cents to 50 cents a piece if it's department store things like walmart or target brands.

I sell used baby and kids clothes on ebay and those no name items go into lots according to season and size, I only sell individual pieces of Ralph Lauren, Gymboree, Janie and Jack, and other designer/name brands. I do better on ebay because of the larger audience (not being restricted to my area)
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:33 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I rather do craigslist price them a a few dollars each depending on their condition.
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 2:49 PM on Oct. 20, 2010