I wish I had known...

Add something you wish you had known before you went into labor.

Shanna84

Asked by Shanna84 at 12:19 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Make EVERYONE you know aware of who you do and don't want in the delivery room or even at the hospital...

I didn't want anyone besides my DH and I there, my mother called everyone and we ended up with 8 or 9 people at the hospital and in the damn room...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:24 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• That your water breaking doesn't necessarily mean rush to the hospital.... I was in labor for about 25 hours, I really could have stayed home a couple more hours and be a lot less bored...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 12:26 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• That an epidural DOES NOT make all the pain go away. You will still need those breathing techniques and pain management techniques.
    I wish more women knew that one intervention leads to another.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:31 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• How pointless Lamaze would be.
    Anonymous

• That catheters aren't really bad at all. I was terrified of this, possibly more than anything else. I was hesitant to even get the epidural because I didn't want the catheter. When I found out I was getting the catheter anyway due to high bookd pressure I figured I would just get the epidural and at least be numb for the catheter. Then I had to get one a few days later for a clean urine sample, with no epidural of course, and it was a breeze. I was so terrified I made my mom hold my hand and it was over in a minute and barely even uncomfortable. Boy did I want to hug that nurse.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:00 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• That the overwhelming majority of doctors and hospitals practice liability based care, not evidence based care. And that the majority of them have NEVER seen a natural birth. There is almost ALWAYS intervention in some form or another, whether it is IV, pain medication, augmentation, coached pushing, yanking on the baby, separation of mother and baby, etc. I could go on and on.

That homebirth and free-standing birth centers have been proven over and over again to have at least the same outcomes as hospitals, yet have drastically reduced intervention rates. A CPM or CNM is prepared for a variety of emergencies and brings certain drugs, oxygen, and other tools to aid in the correction of these emergencies.

That more and more women are choosing out of hospital birth for safety reasons above anything else. 

squish

Answer by squish at 2:05 PM on Oct. 20, 2010