"You need to take your kids to the car and teach them a lesson!" (a nicer way to tell me that I need to beat my child)

I went out to dinner last night with 2 of my friends. We had our kids with us- 1 2 1/2 year old, 1 almost 3, 4 year old, 5 year old. They were havin a good time and everything! The excitement to be all together. Kids at free last night where we went. It took a while to get our food, so of course they were getting hungry. (the place wasn't even busy!) Well this older group of 3 came in--Kept looking at us from the second they sat down. This other older couple sat right next to us, they moved a booth away. All the sudden my daughter said really loud "WHERE'S MY FOOD?!" this old lady turned around and yelled at us "YOU KIDS NEED TO BEHAVE! YOUR PARENTS NEED TO TAKE YOU TO THE CAR AND SHOW YOU A LESSON! NO RESPECT! BE BETTER PARENTS" Wow. My daughter is almost 3, her lover boy is 2 1/2. That's who they were yelling at. I wanted to smack this lady. Some somebody there w/their kids they stuck up for us. What would you do/say?

Chell.o_0

Asked by Chell.o_0 at 12:21 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• No she didn't need to go outside and I don't buy into that junk of ignoring rude old people because they are old. Age does not give you a right to be a jacka$$ to other people's children.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:41 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I dont know... my kids were never so bad that others needed to comment. If i was at a resturant and my kids got out of control I DID take them out side.... I had a good talk with them and or a walk depending on what the situation called for... and then when the food was at the table and the kids were calm I went back in.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 12:23 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I would have said "No one is forcing you to go to a FAMILY restuarant" or something along the lines of "My kids are just being KIDS, and YOU are being a miserable excuse for a human being, shut up and mind your own business" of course I have no problem with being rude to someone being rude to me.....
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:27 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I would have told her " Lemme take you to the car you first" LOL. no....I wouldnt have the guts, but I would have said that to her in my head. I wouldnt have had a problem telling her to turn around and mine her business.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:29 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Wow. That's a little harsh of a statement to yell at a stranger for something so completely innocent. Ontop of that, why would you even suggest that you take your "Child to the car and beat them" (Essentially) anyway? I really think that lady was out of line and should've kept her business to herself and left yours to you. If your children weren't throwing fits, causing a complete rucus, or terrorizing other guests then she had no right to even step in. If she still had the mind to, then she should've done it in a respectful manner. They're kids and they're bound to show a little disrespect here and there, but how that lady responded was over the top.

I personally would've told her to mind her own business. That if she should've stayed at home if she didn't want to have a disruption during dinner. Not every person is going to be completely the way you want them when you're out in public, children or otherwise.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:37 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I had a lady at a Harry Potter movie turn around every time my cousin crinkled her candy wrapper and give her an "ugh" sound. Finally I asked her if she had a problem and she shut up. Point is, don't go to places where you know kids will be and then complain. Example: a diner that says "kids eat free".
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 12:27 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• scout no it doesnt' but a bigger person just ignores stupid comments from strangers, its really rather simple just ignore it and continue on with your night no biggie.. its not a major situation lol its a stupid petty little thing
    alcnic27

Answer by alcnic27 at 12:44 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• didnt take her prune juice is all prob lol
    alcnic27

Answer by alcnic27 at 12:52 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Honestly, I would have said "bitch mind your own business or I'll take you to the car and show you a lesson about manners."
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 12:24 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• They weren't bad at all! Normal sounds a couple kids would make. Laughing/talking stuff like that. She had no business saying that.

We were caught so off guard. They moved tables. haha
    Chell.o_0

Comment by Chell.o_0 (original poster) at 12:27 PM on Oct. 20, 2010