Tricycle or Bike with training wheels?

My son just turned 3 in September. For Christmas we wanted to get him a bike. Is he at the age for a bike with training wheels or a tricycle?

BeautyFromPain

Asked by BeautyFromPain at 12:26 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You can take him to a store that sells tricycles and bicycles and let him try them out to see what's a good fit for him.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:59 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• my son is turning 3 and he has 2 trikes that he is showing to be too big for, I'd go for a bike with training wheels. it will at least last longer
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:31 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Honestly I think Tricycles are a bad idea. They're cute and can offer a lot of fun for a new toddler, but honestly kids grow out of them so fast. Your best bet is to get him a bike that he can grow into, so a few summers from now he'll still be able to take a ride. Tricycles aren't really meant for long term use, as they're made for younger children. Therefore, it's best to get them something that'll last them a while as well as be right for them at the age that they are.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:33 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I'd say at 3, get a bike with training wheels. I've seen 3 year olds on bikes without, so you never know, he may not need the training wheels for long!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:39 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I would get a small bike or even a big wheel
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:28 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• My twins turned 3 in August. They have regular tricycles and some that are more big-wheel type trikes. They are getting a little big for their tricycles since the seats don't move back, but they have used them nearly everyday for most of this year; we bought them new and they are actually beginning to look worn. The big-wheel type cycles are for ages 3 to 7 and they are just barely able to reach the pedals with the seats at the the most forward position. I like the trikes and big wheels because they are a little lower to the ground and very stable for my little speed demons. I had planned to buy them bicycles for Christmas, but my husband said it would be a waste at this point because they'd outgrow it before they were able to actually ride without training wheels. So, I'm waiting until their 4th birthday to buy bicycles. Since your son is already 3 I'd probably get the big-wheel type trike.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:47 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• A scooter is another wheeled option. My twins have those and really enjoy them.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:48 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Well he has a big-wheel type trike and he can't reach the pedals on it either so I thought I'd get him something he could actually reach the pedals on and like you all said "grow into it"! I just didn't know if he was to young for a bike yet.
    BeautyFromPain

Comment by BeautyFromPain (original poster) at 12:51 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Good idea I think I will do that! Thanks :)
    BeautyFromPain

Comment by BeautyFromPain (original poster) at 1:02 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• My oldest just turned 4 in Aug. and I got her a small bike with training wheels and my youngest will be 3 in Jan. and I got her the same style of bike, the two DD's are only 2 inches different in size, the youngest just seems still waaa'aaay to small for it so had to turn around and buy a trike. Kinda depends on size of the child and what your options are for the size of the bike... the youngest is too big for a big wheel we have one that she used to use she almost crunches in half with it.
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 6:58 PM on Oct. 20, 2010