I can't see this at all, what's the drama for?

When children are born with defects during pregnancy and it's clearly in the womb, that those children have these, or the mom is way undernourished, and it's obvious she is not taking care of herself. Why do these people go and sue the dr.s for malpractice? I know that it's not the Dr. and the mom or dad is just out for getting cash because of grief over the baby, or depression or both. But when is it not okay to sue for things that are clearly the moms fault.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Health

• Sometimes it is not the mom's fault. Some times it is a genetic disorder. I really don't know anything at the moment where a doctor should be sued, unless he was careless about something.
    Anonymous

• Just curious how many pregnant women are way undernourished or not taking care of themselves to the point that it could cause a birth defect? Seems like it would be the extreme minority... I've never even heard of anyone suing for that.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:36 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I should add that in severe abuse or mental abuse given to mother of child during pregnancy by the father of the child. This is an equation for her depression to have led to the baby's malnourishment. I have seen this, but could do nothing not knowing the facts of or the "if's" of what caused by just seeing the mothers' underweight issues.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:43 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• what are you talking about ? I love it how people post ridiculous stuff annoymously.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 12:45 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• If I understand your question correctly, I can tell you that in my state a physician cannot be sued unless willful negligence can be shown, so if parents believe that the OB was willfully negligent in his/her care of the mother and this led to the baby's injuries, that is when parents can/should sue. An OB cannot & should not be held accountable for a child's congenital defects/disease, because the doctor has no control over such things. As for a mother being malnourished and/or emtionally or physically abused during her pregnancy, this is the mother's responsibility if her circumstances affect her child's develolpment in the womb. It would be no different than if the mother were abusing illegal substances or alcohol while pregnant - there will be consequences to the child's health & it would be the mother's fault. Help is available if she's strong enough to find & access it.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 1:22 PM on Oct. 20, 2010