To love, honor and ...

obey
or
cherish

Mrs.PMAL

Asked by Mrs.PMAL at 12:31 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Relationships

• We chose cherish. To me it means more to cherish your husband than to obey him.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:32 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• of those two? Cherish... No way in hell would I have included obey in my vows... I'm laughing just thinking about it...

But my vows said Love, Honor & Protect.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:32 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• cherish!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:32 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Cherish
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:33 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I'd go with cherish... I'm not going to blindly obey ANYBODY, husband or not.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 12:33 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Cherish. I threatened to walk out of my own wedding if the word "obey" crossed the officiant's lips.

I guess it's a personal issue, but "obey" makes me feel like one partner's position in the marriage is dominant to the other. I guess I'm wacky because I assume that marriage should be an equal partnership, not he says jump and I "just know" how high.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 12:35 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• We used "RESPECT" in our vows.

Obey... is what the dog does... not a wife

Especially since in the traditional vows only the wife says obey and the husband says lead or something equally ridiculous.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 12:35 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• HAHAHAHAHA obey.... BWAHAHAHAHAHA. lol

We wrote our own vows and trust me there was NOTHING about obeying him in there. lol We did have to do the more traditional set after we said our own but the JP said, "I promise to love, honor, and respect" I think he got the idea that we both thought saying obey was ridiculous. lol My DOG obeys me, my husband and I respect each other enough to discuss decisions and not do anything to intentionally hurt or piss the other one off. lol
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 12:36 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Cherish. LMAO@ obey.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 12:37 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Thanks for the input ladies.

I guess I thought I had posted up there respect as one of the choices, guess my fingers are going faster than my brain.
    In any case we did say
    wife "love, honor and obey" and husband "love, honor and respect"
    We are old fashioned that way but its always interesting to hear everyone elses views.
    Mrs.PMAL

Comment by Mrs.PMAL (original poster) at 12:38 PM on Oct. 20, 2010