Quiche help -please

I've found a recipe for quiche. It says to bake the crust BEFORE adding the ingredient for about 10-15 minutes, then you put it in with the ingredients inside it for another 30-35. Is the pre-baking of the crust necessary?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:57 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Yes, otherwise the crust is soggy. And nobody likes a soggy crust.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:58 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Yes. You MUST prebake the crust with Quiche because it is a LIQUID going into the pie crust and you don't want the crust to be soggy. In order to give the bottom crust some crisp and support it must be baked 1st.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:00 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I never bake my crust beforehand & it is never ever soggy. If you fear that it is going to be soggy, cut out an extra circle of pie crust & place it at the bottom of the pie pan to "double" the crust. I use double crust for lots of things, maybe this is why my pie's & quiches arent soggy. I find that if you cook the crust beforehand, that there is a good chance it will over cook in the oven & possibly burn.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:01 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I've never pre-baked the crust, but mine is always soggy, so I think I will give pre-baking a try next time.

Also, you might need to cover the edges of the crust with foil so they don't get overcooked while the filling is baking.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:02 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Another trick, is to use frozen pie crust right out of the freezer. If you do not let it thaw out before putting it in the oven, it should not get soggy. This is my mom's trick, i have never used it though.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:05 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I just baked my first quiche - Crab and Spinach and I did NOT prebake mine.... and it turned out perfect!
    MrsDAP

Answer by MrsDAP at 1:09 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• yes as pp have posted
    san78

Answer by san78 at 1:27 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• BUMP
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 3:20 PM on Oct. 20, 2010