do you use a car seat on planes?

I'm taking my almost 3yr old a bunch of places during the Thanksgiving holidays. We will spend time on a total of 12planes. I am trying to decide rather or not to use her car seat on the plane, or to just let her sit in the normal seat belt. Last time I flew with her she was a lap child. So I was wondering if you all could tell me what you do, and the advantages/disadvantages of using a car seat. It would be a lot to lug around with the carry on bags we'll already have. It'll just be her and I for 10 of the flights. I almost think it'd be a waste to use the car seat, because obviously if the plane goes down, it wouldn't be much help, but at the same time, she may be more comfortable. Thanks for any advice!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If she is only 3 she HAS to sit in a carseat.
    -crunchy-mama-

Answer by -crunchy-mama- at 1:00 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• i would its just more for you to carry. have a family memeber with one u can borrow when u land :)
    Tiffany_Rivera_

Answer by Tiffany_Rivera_ at 1:00 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• It's been my experience that cart seats don't fit in airplane seats. I would take yours (if you're not getting a rental car and getting one through them), and just check it.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:01 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Yes. It's bulky to have to haul around the airport, but safety is important. Plus, I think it's easier for them to fall asleep in their own seat (that they're likely used to falling asleep in), it doesn't get banged up in baggage, and this way, you have their car seat for when you're in the car. You can get a dolly to carry the seat on, it rolls like a rolling bag.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:03 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Oops *car*

Also wanted to mention that I've never seen a 3+ aged child in a car seat on a plane, only small infants - and I travel quite a bit.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:04 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• definitely use it. If I were doing that much traveling I would invest in a car seat carrier/rack - one that you strap the car seat too and it becomes like a stroller. It will definitely be more comfortable for your child and safer too.
    MeggieSwan

Answer by MeggieSwan at 1:05 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• We have always used our carseat. It's bulky and a pain to carry...but our son actually sat in it and fell asleep. I don't think he would have done that in the regular seat.
    BWIND

Answer by BWIND at 1:05 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Actually they don't have to use a carseat but if they do it must be FAA approved. We bought the Go Go kidz gadget. it's essentially a plastic handle with wheels that you hook your carseat on and zip tie it. Your child can sit in the seat and you can roll them around like a suitcase...it's genius really. They are a bit pricey but I found one on craigslist for half. I will say if you are a traveler they are well worth the money and you can use it with booster seats as well. if they are in the carseat on the plane they can't get up and move and be a nut. My DS likes it because it's "his" seat he is used to. He knows he can't get out so he usually falls asleep. Persona;;y, I think you'd be crazy not to use one. Check the stroller and get the go go kidz and put him in it.
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 1:43 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Hm, I've never seen a child in a carseat on a plane. Felipe has been traveling by air since he was a year old and I have never put him in a carseat. He was a lap child until 2 and now he is in a regular seat.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 2:33 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I flew a lot when my oldest was a baby and toddler, and I always checked my carseat.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:34 PM on Oct. 20, 2010