Ok I have someone who keeps asking me about this and I have no idea so I thought I would turn to you...

I have someone who is looking into becoming an online auctioneer and they would like to know:
1. The site says you get paid $5 a listing. Does that item have to sell before you get paid?
2. It also says that their is a 49.95 for training do you know if there is usually a monthly fee also. They say this is not a business but a job from home on your own schedule so I told her I don't think their should be a month fee.
Please help me. (She is not interested in a home business I have already tried that)

mommy2each

Asked by mommy2each at 1:06 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Money & Work

• I have no idea, I would check on line for your state.
    meandmyshadow

Answer by meandmyshadow at 1:08 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I don't know what site she is looking at, but the "training fee" seems like a red flag to me. She really should google the site and see what other users have said about it before she commits. Any fees, monthly or otherwise, should be in the sites TOS.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:10 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Those types of things are usually just trying to sell you an eBook. I would Google the company along with pros and cons and see what you come up with.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:11 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• She should check the company on the Better Business Bureau before she moves forward with anything. If they check out, then maybe she should contact the company itself and ask these questions as I'm sure it all depends on the particular company itself. :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 1:13 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Never EVER put up ANY money for a WAH JOB, unless it is for Equiptment, or a background check. SOmetimes customer service positions will require you to have certain things...and often if a background check is required you front that bill...I would say look up company with words like scam attached to it and see what comes up
    Happymom2-2

Answer by Happymom2-2 at 1:58 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• The first thing anyone looking into an online job or business should do is go to google, type the company name and the word SCAM. It will bring up reviews, testimonials and anyone that feels they got scammed by that company
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:28 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Sounds like a scam to "teach" you how to sell using eBay or something. You can figure that out on your own, you don't need to pay anybody. Usually, if they ask for a fee upfront, it is a scam - tell her to run the other way !!!
    JustMyOpinion22

Answer by JustMyOpinion22 at 6:49 AM on Oct. 22, 2010