If im taking prenatal vitamins for fertility is taking an iron supplement also to much Iron?

Asked by peaches0327 at 1:13 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Health

• Most likely it would be too much, if you have a normal hemoglobin level.

I would hold off and ask the doctor before taking both, UNLESS the doctor suggested taking the extra iron then you must be anemic.

Answer by kfroz0415 at 1:17 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• All you need is the Prenatal. It has enough iron in it and you could add a folic acid if you want but too much iron is not good. After you get Pregnant, they will test your iron level and later in the pregnancy they may prescribe an additional iron suppliment but not early on.

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:17 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Unless your doctor advises you otherwise, take the prenatal only. I have iron-deficiency anemia, so I take both, but under the direction of my doctor.

Answer by musicpisces at 1:18 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I agree just the prenatal. Make sure you are getting extra folic acid though.

Answer by MommaofH2 at 1:20 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Unless the doctor says to take both, only take the prenatals. If he has put you on the iron pills be sure he knows you are taking the vitamins.

Answer by duckigrrl at 1:36 PM on Oct. 20, 2010