Is this okay??

My daughter is 6 months old ans she is having more solid bowel movements I talked to Nurse she sai prunes and less cereal for a day that helped. But I breastfeed and the cereal says to mix w breastmilk and I just started mixing it w water the Doc said she can have that now..Do you think mixing the cereal w water is what could be contributing to the bowel movement issue?

Kelly2573

Asked by Kelly2573 at 1:14 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's probably the extra iron in the cereal itself, not the water you're mixing it with. You can skip the cereal. It's not necessary, and this is a common problem attributed to it. Try cutting it out completely and just give her fruits and veggies instead.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:17 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Yeah, it could be. Have you tried mixing it with a little bit of apple juice? Or you can use prune juice, too. However if baby is not constipated (meaning PAINFUL bowel movements) then you don't need to worry about how solid they are -- once they start eating baby food, etc, the poops get more solid.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 1:19 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Or try mixing the cereal with some apple juice and see if that helps.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:19 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I do that too..Doc says to give cereal twice a day.. If I do not give her cereal doesn't that mean she isn't getting her grains? And I have been giving her cereal since she was like 4-5 when the doc said to start it so thats why I thought it could be the water bc I always used to mix w breastmilk before..Thanks!
    Kelly2573

Comment by Kelly2573 (original poster) at 1:20 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• What kind of apple juice is good to use for babies?
    Kelly2573

Comment by Kelly2573 (original poster) at 1:21 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• You could use the Motts for Tots because it has a lot less sugar. Or you could just do half juice and half water. I think straight juice is too sugary for kids this age, but that's just my opinion. I have also noticed a lot of juices now come from China so I do try to find juices from America now that I noticed this.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:40 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• thank you mary
    Kelly2573

Comment by Kelly2573 (original poster) at 1:42 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• If her poops are just more solid, then she isn't necessarily constipated. That's usually indicated by hard, pellet-like balls of poop in babies that age. If it's not like that, then it's just getting more solid because she's eating more solids in general. You get out what you put in, lol.

Any apple juice that says "100% juice" and "no sugar added" is fine. Gerber makes baby juice, but it's overpriced in my opinion. Mots for Tots has some. Just look down the juice aisle at the grocery store.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:53 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• If you're using rice cereal try switching to oatmeal or even the brown rice cereal. They're higher in fiber.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 3:17 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• More solid poop is typical w/ starting solids. The issue is if she struggle o poop or is in pain. That being said rice cereal is known to constipate. Instead of giviing juice, mixing w/ something else, etc. Just get her off the cereal. It is junk and worthless.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 8:47 PM on Oct. 20, 2010